Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Northern Mn rut is lookinggood >

Northern Mn rut is lookinggood

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Northern Mn rut is lookinggood

Old 10-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Northern Mn rut is lookinggood

Got our first snow accumulation yesterday(4" ). Left work early to get on stand by 2:30. With the nasty weather, deer were moving/feeding heavily. Had deer at stand as I arrived, they left and with 10 minutes had other deer back in their place. Does came and went for next hour and a half. Had laid estrus out on trails coming in, around stand and also " active scrape" scent at several scrapes near stand. Refilled my dripper over my mock scrape also. Did some light rattling/calling and had 3 smaller bucks respond minutes after. The big 10 pointer came out at 50 yds, but a doe came out also and he took off after her without returning. Half hour before dark, a nice 6 pter came in with his nose to the ground following my scent trail. went to the mock scrape I made, pawed the scrape and pissed some, then came to my spot I set for him. stopped at the raccoon scent I laid(works great to get them to stop where you want them), Head down, 30 yds, dble lunged him, ran 60 yds and died on his feet. The snow made tracking a breeze. Pass through had him spraying blood from both sides. It don' t get no easier than this.(should be a beer commercial). That' s deer #4 this year so far. have seen 9 different bucks in 4 days off my 3 different stands in this area. Rattling has brought in 5 of the bucks(atleast they showed within 5 minutes after I stopped rattling). Have turned several by calling. The big 10 pter is definately P&Y if he offers me a shot. I' m not a trophy hunter, but this may be the first deer I' m gonna go after for the rack. Happy Hunting! Steve
Old 10-28-2003, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Northern Mn rut is lookinggood

I almost went out yesterday afternoon but it was still snowing and blowing enough to concern me. Tracking could be really tough in that weather. Things disappear quickly in weather like that.

Congrats on the six pointer.

I just have to ask how you plan to go after that 10 pointer after you already tagged a buck? Last time I looked we only get one buck with our archery tag. We can purchase additional management tags but that are only good for antler less deer.

Where in Northern Minnesota are you hunting?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I' m lucky enough to have a wife that also bowhunts, but doesn' t mind sharing her tags, so she donated her buck tag for the cause. With the all-season license this year, she wants to take a doe in muzzle loading season. I live/have land north of Bemidji about 20 miles. Happy Hunting! Steve
Old 10-28-2003, 01:19 PM

You lucky dog. I wish my wife bow hunted too. I guess I could pretend and just buy her a license. Doesn' t seem right though. I already had my good luck for the year and I should just be happy about it. And I am.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...key=&language=
Old 10-28-2003, 07:28 PM

Oh you guys have me so psyched! I have next week off and will be up northeast of Cook trying to get two before the gun season opens the next Saturday. Thanks for the post!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:59 PM

I' ll be out in the morning.Supposed to snow everyday for the rest of the week.Hopefully this year I' ll be able to put some miles on the sled.