Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck Mule Kicks After The Shot????????? >

Buck Mule Kicks After The Shot?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck Mule Kicks After The Shot?????????

Old 10-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buck Mule Kicks After The Shot?????????

I shot a doe todayaround 4:00pm and it was cold enough to let her lay for an hour until sunset and wait on the 9 pointer that I had been seeing in this area.
I got a shot at him at 23 yards broadside,I held the pin just behind the shoulder and just a little high, BUT ..... I dont know if I blinked or what????????????? I didn' t see where the arrow hit him...... But I did see him kick up both his back legs really high ,.... buck like a bronc or mule.... and turned so I couldnt see where the arrow might of hit him and he took off running ....... After he ran for a while I could hear him walking and then it sounded like he tripped or stumbled on something and I thought he was going down but then I heard him walking again and then it just stopped and I could hear nothing.
I went to where I shot him and found no arrow ... but my flash light was diming fast... and I saw no blood at the shot sight ......... so I knew it would be cold down in the 30' s tonight enough for the deer to lay and hopefully the coyotes wount get to them before I do.... so I opted to sneak out with what I had left for light in the batteries and I could hear other deer milling around in the near by vacinety, and I really didnt want to spook any other deer out of this area and ruin this stand..... I decided to let them lye and hopefully the shot was true on the buck and he will bed and perish, and my husband and I will return 1st thing in the morning..... and of couse there is a chance for light rain tonight to make matters worse.
Here is my question do you think that my arrow hit the buck if he bucked and kicked up his back legs like a mule??????????????????????
I just cant imagine why he would buck and kick if the arrow didnt hit good????????
Im just feeling sick over not knowing whether it was a true shot or just a horrible wounding shot, and just praying that I didnt just wound him.
Dont think Im gonna sleep to well tonight[X(]
HELP PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Buck Mule Kicks After The Shot?????????

i am thinking that u hit him and good. what weight are u drawing and what broadhead. usually a good hit results in that kind of reaction. u need to do a good perimeter check and work your way towards where u hit him. if there is no arrow...he carried it out...if that is the case...he is probably dead...unless u shot at such an angle that the arrow grazed under the skin??
Old 10-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im shooting 55lbs with 100 Grain 4 blade Muzzys,
the angle didnt seem all to steep or at least not any steeper than usual, cause 20ft is my prefered stand height, this stand was maybe 19ft up and I have taken deer from stands at 30ft up ,and that 30footer realy felt steep.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:54 PM

I' ve had three deer react with a mule-kick after being shot with an arrow and all three were hit through the heart.So , I' d have to agree that ya stuck ' im good.I don' t know that you' d need to wait ' til morning , but , when in doubt - back out . I just hope those Chambana , IL song dogs don' t find him before you do. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

ya hit him good!!

Let us know when you find him cause he is a goner!!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope its not raining in Champaign like it is here in Edwardsville. Sounds like a good hit to me. If it is raining there might not be too much blood left but he couldn' t have gone far.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Spike

I agree if he kick his back legs like that it is usualy a heart shot. I' ll bet you' ll find him in the morning.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:27 PM

Good luck in morn.

And cong. if you find both 2 in one night thats awesome
Old 10-28-2003, 01:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sonds promising to me. Good luck tommorrow
Old 10-28-2003, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

you' ll find him

Quick Reply: Buck Mule Kicks After The Shot?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.