HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bad shot or bad luck? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/409813-bad-shot-bad-luck.html)

Bocajnala 11-05-2016 03:45 PM

Bad shot or bad luck?

A 7 point came in tonight. 22 yards, broadside, standing still. Home run shot, at least I thought.. I was using my crossbow tonight so I watched the bolt impact through the scope, then immediately "Bounce" straight back out. The buck ran about another 30 yards away then stopped and looked around. He stood in that spot for almost five minutes, then went back to eating acorns... I watched him through the binocs for the next 25 minutes as he slowly fed away.... Slight trickle of blood coming from his shoulder... I guess I hit that shoulder bone perfectly and it just bounced my bolt right back out. I recovered the bolt and there is hair and a little blood on the broadhead. Nothing on the bolt at all. Also, the broadhead is bent. Shooting 100gr rage hypodermics... Bummed it happened but at least it looks like the buck will be fine. Just a weird shot.. So bad luck or bad shot? I really thought I had a dead buck when I took the shot.
-Jake

FlaBoy18 11-05-2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4279743)
A 7 point came in tonight. 22 yards, broadside, standing still. Home run shot, at least I thought.. I was using my crossbow tonight so I watched the bolt impact through the scope, then immediately "Bounce" straight back out. The buck ran about another 30 yards away then stopped and looked around. He stood in that spot for almost five minutes, then went back to eating acorns... I watched him through the binocs for the next 25 minutes as he slowly fed away.... Slight trickle of blood coming from his shoulder... I guess I hit that shoulder bone perfectly and it just bounced my bolt right back out. I recovered the bolt and there is hair and a little blood on the broadhead. Nothing on the bolt at all. Also, the broadhead is bent. Shooting 100gr rage hypodermics... Bummed it happened but at least it looks like the buck will be fine. Just a weird shot.. So bad luck or bad shot? I really thought I had a dead buck when I took the shot.
-Jake

Sounds like you definitely punched him right in the shoulder bone. Buddy of mine did the same thing this year with a rage. Arrow went in a few inches and them got broke off when the buck ran. That buck u shot will live another day. Who knows u may see em again this season. Its happened before.

Oldtimr 11-05-2016 04:05 PM

You have to remember, you are shooting an arrow, not a bullet. Even with a rifle I shoot behind the shoulder because that is where the good stuff like lungs and heart are. However, the main reason is I ruin a lot less meat.

Bocajnala 11-05-2016 05:13 PM

Ya, I typically aim for a double lung. So, not sure if I missed, or he moved a little. But either way I had to hit bone. Never imagined an arrow could just bounce back like that though.
-Jake

super_hunt54 11-05-2016 05:30 PM

Ahhh Jake Jake Jake :nonono2: Bad shot as well as bad equipment choice. Had you been using a good cut on impact solid fixed you probably would have had you a dead deer even with a shoulder bone hit. It takes a good bit of energy to open those blades and with that bone hit, you were trying to push a LOT of blade through bone. Not very likely! I can see the attraction to those overly long blades on mechanical heads but there are some drawbacks to them as you discovered the hard way. Next season, get yourself some fixed blades such as the Slick Trick X-Bow and maybe go up to 125 grain for penetration.

Now granted you should avoid shoulder bone with archery equipment but everyone goofs! Best to have equipment that will help you WHEN (and I say when not IF because it happens) you goof!

Bocajnala 11-05-2016 08:28 PM

I've had good luck with them the last three years shooting doe. Really opens them up... but those have all been just punching through the rib cage, double lung shots... Obviously they didn't handle the bone too well.... I can't get the image of that bolt bouncing back out of my head. Never imagined an arrow could do that. It hit, and sprung straight back out and landed about 8 foot from where the buck had been standing. The only positive from this is that I'm pretty sure the buck should be fine as long as he doesn't get any nasty infection. I watched him and he was moving and using the leg fine.. Just a little blood on his shoulder. Hopefully other than a sore shoulder he's good. Maybe I'll get another crack at him. I'll be in the stand allot these next two weeks.
-Jake

NOCKDEEP 11-06-2016 12:49 AM

I did the same thing 2 years ago, I was walking out of the woods to go home and saw a doe sprinting right at me. I dropped to me knees, nocked an arrow and drew. She stopped at 3 yards quartering to me. I tried tucking the arrow tight to the onside shoulder but ended up hitting the thickest part. the arrow bounced back and almost hit me. I got 27" of my 28" arrow back with no blood on it only hair. I still feel bad, I knew better than taking that shot but the adrenaline got the best of me. I tried to blame the broadhead but deep down I knew it was my fault.

Windwalker7 11-16-2016 08:28 AM

I'm amazed it slowly walked away feeding.

rockport 11-16-2016 09:07 AM

IMO something went wrong besides just hitting bone. Arrow wasn't nocked right or something.

An arrow should never bounce off of any part of a deer IMO.

I am assuming you are using a modern powerful crossbow?

Hatfield Hunter 11-16-2016 11:12 AM

modern crossbow art about 20 yards should go through shouder possibly both--either something malfunctioned or get rid of broadheads I shoot the old style 4 blade muzzy 130 grain heads have gone through both shoulders on 6 out of 7 of last deer all bucks by the way shooting 350 per second 22 inch bolt H H