HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bad shot or bad luck? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/409813-bad-shot-bad-luck.html)

rockport 11-17-2016 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4281727)
Hatfield - there's a big difference between going through the shoulder blade vs. going through the shoulder/leg bone. Those bones are tough and thick. The shoulder blade on the other hand is only maybe 1/4" thick and I agree any BH from one of today's crossbows would have not trouble punching through one or both of them. But a square it on a leg bone - its entirely possible.

Even the "t" part of the shoulder blade. At 250 fps your probably not getting mechanical blade through alot of shoulder areas unless that slow speed is created by a very heavy arrow.

I still think it should stick though.

My setup has no problem breaking a front leg and still passing through and its really nothing special. I don't screw a 747 on the end of my arrows though.

I just can't imagine my setup ever bouncing off any part of a deer and like I said its really nothing special.

Something either went wrong of something was junk IMO that should just never happen with quality equipt.

Bocajnala 11-17-2016 08:33 PM

I've gone back to my fix blades that I had before. They're a slick trick. I'm chalking this one up to me using the wrong broadhead for the set up I had. Lesson learned and hopefully the deer makes it without any infection.
-Jake

Bocajnala 11-17-2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4281666)
Who knows. I'm a firm believer that mechanical broad heads are a bad idea Ive seen lots of them underperform but none that poorly.

A mechanical out of a 250fps bow is definitely a bad idea

I'd look at something like a viper trick for that setup. You need something at the total opposite end of the spectrum from a mechanical.

Copy that, I've gone back to my slicktricks
-jake

blessed n born to hunt 11-18-2016 07:19 PM

Sorry for your luck , I personally don't like broad heads that have to open on impact , I use 3 fixed blade heads from Walmart about $6 for three and I recently harvested 2 hogs with my Ten Point crossbow and the first one was running with 2 others in a draw. I shot the second hog wich dropped on the spot. My broadleaf hit and shattered his left front shoulder bone and passed through .the second hog shot also passed through , he made it about 20 yards.maybe your tags meant for a different deer ?

IndianaBigBucks 11-22-2016 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4279757)
Ahhh Jake Jake Jake :nonono2: Bad shot as well as bad equipment choice. Had you been using a good cut on impact solid fixed you probably would have had you a dead deer even with a shoulder bone hit. It takes a good bit of energy to open those blades and with that bone hit, you were trying to push a LOT of blade through bone. Not very likely! I can see the attraction to those overly long blades on mechanical heads but there are some drawbacks to them as you discovered the hard way. Next season, get yourself some fixed blades such as the Slick Trick X-Bow and maybe go up to 125 grain for penetration.

Now granted you should avoid shoulder bone with archery equipment but everyone goofs! Best to have equipment that will help you WHEN (and I say when not IF because it happens) you goof!

Fixed blades don't fail to open. I want a bone crushing broadhead when I make that bad shot. Grim reapers are nice broadheads. I watched a video of Grim Reaper Carnifour went through to the fletching on a scapula of a steer. Granted the broadheads that were shot was only shot out from 10 yards but only one or two went through. It did break a blade off the Grim Reaper, but it was impressive. Only thing is the blades could very well not open at all.

AJones 11-07-2017 05:10 PM

Seems weird

rockport 11-07-2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4281783)
Copy that, I've gone back to my slicktricks
-jake

Good call.

mrbb 11-08-2017 04:42 AM

might want to look at how much arrow/ bolt, broadhead weight your shooting, if your too light, your missing a lot of energy down range
at 22 yards most modern X box should be able to push thru a shoulder blade(not always but most all have way more KO than a bow does at 20 +yards)
its IMO a common mistake many X bow guy have, using broadheads more for vertical bows and now X bow(heavier heads) to reap all the rewards a x bow can have for them!