Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Blazer fletchings fail >

Blazer fletchings fail

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blazer fletchings fail

Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to go another route here so forgive me if I ruffle some "feathers". Regardless of who or how those arrows were fletched the ultimate responsibility for their failure, in this case, falls on the shooter.

Many people do what you did. Buy new arrows. Use some to practice with and set some aside for hunting thinking that a brand new arrow is something magical. This is a fallacy.

Not sounding too critical, but over my 40 years of bowhunting I never entered the woods with arrows in my quiver that I had not shot extensively, and in most cases all summer long or in most cases for several years. The only change I made to those arrows was to screw in the actual broadheads that I would hunt with and check to make sure they still flew well and hit where I aimed and maybe practiced an hour or so with them. Just prior to hunting I installed new blades and was ready to go.

Keep this in mind for your next venture and good luck.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BGfisher
I'm going to go another route here so forgive me if I ruffle some "feathers". Regardless of who or how those arrows were fletched the ultimate responsibility for their failure, in this case, falls on the shooter.

Many people do what you did. Buy new arrows. Use some to practice with and set some aside for hunting thinking that a brand new arrow is something magical. This is a fallacy.

Not sounding too critical, but over my 40 years of bowhunting I never entered the woods with arrows in my quiver that I had not shot extensively, and in most cases all summer long or in most cases for several years. The only change I made to those arrows was to screw in the actual broadheads that I would hunt with and check to make sure they still flew well and hit where I aimed and maybe practiced an hour or so with them. Just prior to hunting I installed new blades and was ready to go.

Keep this in mind for your next venture and good luck.
^^^Also true^^^

Whenever I fletch a new set of arrows, I always take the whole set out and shoot them all a few times. From there, I pick the 3 that fly the best and put them in my hunting quiver. Regardless of your method, its up to us, as bowhunters, to make sure all equipment is 100% ready. That includes making sure the bow is tuned and all arrows are flying straight and true. I'd prefer to miss a hunt and take the time to get my equipment sorted out, rather than go out with equipment I'm not totally confident in.