Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dogs in Hunting Area >

Dogs in Hunting Area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs in Hunting Area

Old 09-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Spike

Default Dogs in Hunting Area

So I think I have a big problem. I was in my stand yesterday afternoon and around 5:30 pm, two dogs came running under my stand and all around the woods for about 20 minutes. I've seen pics of them a few times on my game cam but here recently, they're coming in almost daily. They have collars so I know they are someone's pets but I talked to the land owner and he has no clue where they're coming from. Two questions....should I worry about them and if so, how do I get them to stop? I'm afraid they're running my deer off. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a can of pepper spray and hit them with it...They wont return. NOT mace but pepper spray. It wont leave a scent that will spook deer out of the area and it will teach the dogs quickly not to roam in that particular area.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've seen, dogs running loose does noticeably affect deer movement. I think super_hunt54's idea might work, as long as you're close enough to make it work.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they get close enough, a paint ball gun, sends a double message to the dogs and the owner.

The lease holders around here are death on free roaming dogs, it upsets the whole game population. They shoot them, I don't. Though I did clip the tail on one who had learned to run Deer into the creek and kill them.

I had a pair I tired to catch for two years, I'd see their tracks in the mud and snow. That whole end of the lease was devoid of Deer. They eventually vanished. I'm thinking one of the other guys on the lease shot, shoveled and shut up. Over a mile form any house or farmstead, I have no idea where they came from.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on the situation in my experience.If they are wild dogs or aggressive thats one thing.
If they are local dogs who frequent the woods all year around and don't chase deer thats different. I have seen my dog and deer play together in my fields about dark. It seems like they enjoy chasing each other.They do about the same thing about every day.
There was a pack of big dogs a couple of years ago that were just rouges.I haven't seen them for a while.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most dogs will run Deer unless they have been trained not to. And even then, sometimes the training doesn't take all the time.

IMO not that big a deal occasionally. Daily and the game is likely to move on. In the spring when the Doe drop fawns, it can be a real issue. Often the Doe leads the predator away from the fawn, the fawn stays in that spot. She might not come back until dark. The fawn may start bleating for mamma, easy way for predators to find them.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

In wi if a dog is on your land you may shoot it ! Any loose dog will chase and try to kill deer etc. enough said--- IF poor old poo poo is out of his yard under no human control it is against the law period ! many years ago I had a few houses away neighbor who absolutely would not control his 2 Dobermans--always in my yard ! bit my lab which was on a chain in back yard-confronted said neighbor-he stated not his wonderful babys, later with snotw on ground, Dobermans again came into my yard-groweled at my 2 year old daughter went into house grabbed shotgun shot dogs---neighbor called cops and humane society--humas society and neighbor said they would sue me ! office came said thanks dogs have been a pain for quite some time--laughed ad neighbor and humane person stated dogs were shot on my property perfectly legal now go away ! hey no more trouble !
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

I've had the same problem in the past. I hunt some private land where the neighbors let their dogs roam constantly. I've seen the dogs here and there in the woods & I just can't make myself shoot them. SH's pepper spray idea sounds like it would work, so if I see them this season I'm going to try it. I figured pepper spray would put off a scent that would spook the deer though?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

A little side note, I have a lot of years around hunting dogs, all breeds and types. Half the training for any dog suppresses some of it's natural instincts, prey drive, the chase, the kill etc.

Many when they run wild a little, get wild. What I'm saying is if the owner isn't controlling them you may be doing both of you a favor by educating that dog.

That old call of the wild thing can take over a Dogs psyche and make them aggressive and dangerous. They often have little to no fear of humans, combine that with aggression and bad things can happen.

I had a pack come after me in South Carolina, mixed pack of house Dogs. Darned long haired Terrier of some flavor was leading the charge. After the third time they came at me, I opened up with my Dads 10/22 (Squirrel hunting), I had to reload once before they finally decided to move on. I about chit my drawers, they just weren't backing off and when they started to seriously circle me and come at me belly to the ground I kind of panicked.

I warned one buddy his dog was getting a little out there and wild. Cost him a couple of fingers to figure out I was right.

I haven't tried a paintball gun on Dogs, I have on Cats and Coons. Worked like a charm. Hurts enough they take it seriously. The dog goes home with red splotches and the owner is likely to get concerned. I actually made some pepper balls for mine, now you can buy them. The ones I made worked great, vegetable oil and Thai Pepper.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The pepper spray idea isn't bad ... if you can get close enough. I use rubber blunts. I carry one in my quiver precisely for the dogs that the neighbors never keep on their own land. The dogs get hit with a blunt and go home with a nice bruise, but they live and don't return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.