Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 09-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

40 years of bowhunting and having about 500 diff broadheads in my collection and having done a lot of Broadhed testing and having killed a lot of big game in that time with a lot of different brands has taught me a lot about broadheads.

Its fun to experiment. We learn through doing so. We may return to our old standby but that does not mean its not fun to try something new.

For some (wish it were more) bowhunters, there is a lot of thought and testing that goes into selecting a broadhead. In order for a head to earn the coveted spot in my quiver, it has to meet my requirements.

1. Solid construction.
2. Great flight.
3. Re-uasability/resharpenability (my current record is 7 deer with the same head, shoot sharpen and repeat)
4. Carnage.
5. To a small degree, cost/price.

There are so many good heads on the market today, I dont think there are enough tags available to try them all.

For my homemade traditional setup I use single bevel homemade broadheads.

for my compound, I use slick trick but there are so many others I have killed a ton of deer with that I would use again in a heartbeat.

When we designed our broadhead sharpener, we did so because we dont think a broadhead is a disposable part of our gear. Whether one piece or replaceable blade (we hunt with both) we want to be able to return that head to service as quickly and easily as possible.

Good thread.

Im reminded of one of the things my father said to me over and over and over while I was growing up. One thing in particular comes to mind. He would say,

"Put that down, that's expensive."
Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it weren't for guys trying the latest and greatest equipment, we would all still be shooting Bear Whitetail bows and Bear Razor heads.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Does the Single bevel really work much better? I was considering making mine this year like this, but went to the double bevel as I got confused on which side the bevel should be on. i.e. right hand vs left hand fletched.

My favorite recurve used to be a Bear black bear, whats wrong with that?