Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
can i use mechanical broadheads effectively? >

can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:07 AM
Spike

Default can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?

Hi I wanted to know what broad head would be best for my set up? I shoot a Martin Stratos set at 62# 27" draw with a 410 grain arrow. Archery calculator said I have about 51ke with all the weight on my string. I was looking at xecutioner broadheads but don't know if i have the set up to use it effectively.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a big fan of mechanical BH's myself. Just one thing to go wrong when you need it to work the most. A good cut on contact such as the G5 Montech or the Slick trick fixed blades would serve you quite well. They fly well and almost always are dead on with your field tips.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 AM
Dominant Buck

As a many decade bow hunter who has tried most of the technologies I can say I concur with SH. A well tuned bow with the properly weighted arrow and broad head will give great results without any of the issues associated with a mechanical. I am not saying people shouldn't use them but at least in my case I tried them and found unfortunately for the deer the results didn't measure up with my fixed high quality heads. I was shooting a 70 pound Mathiews bow with the appropriate arrows so there was enough speed and kinetic energy to operate the mechanical head.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

The best broadheads I have used are Slicktrick, QAD Exodus, and American Sonics cut on contact.... I can say the animals I have shot with those broadheads ever arrow has passed through with authority. I have helped track a few deer that where shot in the shoulder with a mechanical and never found them because of the lack of penetration. One of those guys were shooting a 70lb Matthews Switchback so no problem with kinetic energy.

Below are a picture of the QAD Exodus hole (black hog) through and through. That was using a 60lb APA Taipan with about a 400 grain arrow and the Slicktrick magnum from my fathers buck. Just for reference.

One last question are you sure you are only getting 51 foot lbs of KE? Because with a 410 arrow that means your arrow would be traveling at 237 fps.... Frankly I would think that Stratos would shoot faster.
Attached Thumbnails can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?-capture.jpg   can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?-capture1.jpg  

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 06-05-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

35 yrs bow hunting I have played with a lot of different set ups
here is my 2 cents
YES you can shoot mechanical's with your set up, the ONLY true advantage I find with Fixed blade heads is,once there in the animal, they stay as is, and can cut and cause more damage and or pain, making an animal NOT want to MAYBE walk away as far

but the fact is real simple, if either head doesn;t hit a vital, its a HARD deer to recover IF at all

I personally have better luck with expandable and less tuning issue's to get them to fly as my field tips do

there is NO magic broadhead out there that will get you a kill if you DON"T put it in the right spot (vitals)

the larger the cut, they more energy it takes away at impact! when they expand

so keep that in mind!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

"less tuning issue's to get them to fly as my field tips do"

I'm with MRBB on this one
Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Spike

I love the G5 Strikers, A buddy talked me into buying some rages a couple season ago. I can't bring myself to use the rages since the strikers are perfect and just the fact that mechanicals always have the potential to fail
Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

It isn't that hard to "tune" a fixed head.

Make sure your bow is properly paper tuned

I buy a G5 squaring tool and square off the insert (not needed but helps)

After that buy your self a little $30 arrow spinner and say you have a dozen arrows spin all of them and find the straightest arrows. Then spin your broadheads out of all the fixed heads I have used I have never had a single problem tuning a fixed head.

Remember if it takes energy to open a broadhead it will take energy away from the penetration two holes are better than one.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah "tuning issues" with today's broadheads are pretty much a thing of the past. Aerodynamics have finally caught up with the speed demon bows of today. If your bow is properly tuned, then you will have little to no issue with a good fixed blade BH. But you need to stay away from the gimmic BH companies. Well respected companies include but are not limited to, Muzzy, G5, Rocket, Trophy Ridge, and a newer one on the scene Trophy Taker (T-Lock) has been getting outstanding reviews.

There is one very expensive broadhead set (pack of 3 is generally north of $70) that have started making a serious name for themselves in both accuracy as well as terminal performance. Solid Broadhead Legend series is basically a cut on contact 2 blade with little bleeder cross blades. I tested a pack myself and they did fly extremely well even at longer 60 yard ranges. Only shot one elk with them and it did the job quite well but I will admit at the range I hit that elk (3 yards) I could have gotten the same result with a blunt stick So not much on the test. But it did lay her open and blood was everywhere for the 15 yards it ran.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Spike

We have had really good luck with Toxics and Cyclones!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.