Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
can i use mechanical broadheads effectively? >

can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can i use mechanical broadheads effectively?

Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mscan
Hi I wanted to know what broad head would be best for my set up? I shoot a Martin Stratos set at 62# 27" draw with a 410 grain arrow. Archery calculator said I have about 51ke with all the weight on my string. I was looking at xecutioner broadheads but don't know if i have the set up to use it effectively.
iv'e always used mechanicals and love them especially in windy conditions i started with punch cutters probably 25-30 years ago now i use grim reapers there not as streamline as the old punch cutters but they work and the blood trails are unbelieveable. your just going have to experiment with different set ups to find what works best for you and your likes i personally am staying with mechanicals no matter what it's just what i prefer and like to use. imo
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

GrimReapers open perfectly everytime I have shot them. I have shot elk, bear, hogs, deer and coyotes and a Catalina Ram that measured an 1-3/8ths short of the World record at the time. I shot the 1-3/8ths cut RazorCut and would not shot any other BH even if they were given to me free!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer mechanicals that pivot open opposed to sliding open. Most of the pivot open stay closed with a rubber o-ring or.... I had a three blade mechanical do what I consider fail due to having only 2 of 3 blades open, but shot placement resulted in a quick humane death. two blades through both lungs. Use what you can shoot well and practice!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
I prefer mechanicals that pivot open opposed to sliding open. Most of the pivot open stay closed with a rubber o-ring or.... I had a three blade mechanical do what I consider fail due to having only 2 of 3 blades open, but shot placement resulted in a quick humane death. two blades through both lungs. Use what you can shoot well and practice!
GrimReapers do not use a rubber band. They use a spring that keeps a slight pressure on the blades till they are opened by the entering of the animals body. You will find them closed upon removal from a target or laying on the ground after that shot and assume that it may not have opened. It did and will. You will see this when you recover(Usually with in sight if you do your part) as their logo states, "watch 'em drop!!" And they mean it!!! You can take a piece of printer paper and hold it by its edges. Push it down over top a GrimReaper and the blades open like it was nothing.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah "tuning issues" with today's broadheads are pretty much a thing of the past. Aerodynamics have finally caught up with the speed demon bows of today. If your bow is properly tuned, then you will have little to no issue with a good fixed blade BH. But you need to stay away from the gimmic BH companies. Well respected companies include but are not limited to, Muzzy, G5, Rocket, Trophy Ridge, and a newer one on the scene Trophy Taker (T-Lock) has been getting outstanding reviews.

There is one very expensive broadhead set (pack of 3 is generally north of $70) that have started making a serious name for themselves in both accuracy as well as terminal performance. Solid Broadhead Legend series is basically a cut on contact 2 blade with little bleeder cross blades. I tested a pack myself and they did fly extremely well even at longer 60 yard ranges. Only shot one elk with them and it did the job quite well but I will admit at the range I hit that elk (3 yards) I could have gotten the same result with a blunt stick So not much on the test. But it did lay her open and blood was everywhere for the 15 yards it ran.

Looked them up and 99$ a pack. I never thought I'd see the day I would have to take a loan out for broadheads. j/k hope they are worth it but think I'll stick to something a litte cheaper for now