HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   DEER VANISHED!!! Plenty of sign- no deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/40638-deer-vanished-plenty-sign-no-deer.html)

hoytusa10 10-20-2003 09:49 PM

DEER VANISHED!!! Plenty of sign- no deer

Man I can' t believe it!!! Please criticize me, scold me, reassure me, wutever... I shot a big buck on saturday night. At bout 6:55 2 b exact...So i decide to let him sit over nite. I go back on sun. morning w/ my dad n pick up the trail. We find some good sign. Like a good pool of blood about a foot in diameter. We continue to find more blood n follow the trail for another 100 yds. or so...This time we find a spot where he bedded down. Blood all over the place... and bright red blood to be exact. So we continue to follow it for another 150 yds. and we find another pool where he wuz bedding down. again blood all over the place. we find out that he' s looping around... and after that third pool-no blood at all!! no deer to be found. We went back w/ 5 of us and we combed and did grid after grid after grid. even four property' s down. i just can' t figure this out?? and even everyone that wuz there said thats an awful lot of blood for this deer to be running around like that!! Please help me to figure this out!! again please criticize, scold, and or reassure me plaese!! Thanks a bunch!!

RacHunter 10-21-2003 05:56 AM

RE: DEER VANISHED!!! Plenty of sign- no deer

Give us a little more info. What did the arrow look like?
Where did you hit? How did he act after shot?
Give us all the details you can and lets see if we can figure out what happened.
How far to the beds? How far until you ran out of blood?

davidmil 10-21-2003 06:04 AM

Sure, I' ll scold you... yada yada yada..... First off, on Saturday night at 6:55 when you shot you were past the legal shooting hours. Plus, when it' s that late, no matter what, you can not get the correct sight picture. It is extremely difficult to center your sights as you do in daylight. I know if I shoot in really bad light I have a tendancy to group left quite a bit.

In closing, if it isn' t legal shooting light, and/OR you can' t see your pins to make a decent shot... you shouldn' t be shooting at all. There, you feel better.[:-] P.S. Sounds like some major muscle damage to me. Probably a leg or tenderloin.[:' (] You screwed up and are paying the consequences.:D The old Risk/Reward deal just bit you bad.

JeramyK 10-21-2003 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Sure, I' ll scold you... yada yada yada..... First off, on Saturday night at 6:55 when you shot you were past the legal shooting hours. Plus, when it' s that late, no matter what, you can not get the correct sight picture. It is extremely difficult to center your sights as you do in daylight. I know if I shoot in really bad light I have a tendancy to group left quite a bit.

In closing, if it isn' t legal shooting light, and/OR you can' t see your pins to make a decent shot... you shouldn' t be shooting at all. There, you feel better.[:-] P.S. Sounds like some major muscle damage to me. Probably a leg or tenderloin.[:' (] You screwed up and are paying the consequences.:D The old Risk/Reward deal just bit you bad.
He was within legal shooting hours. Ohio' s archery season is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. The sunset occured at 6:42pm on Saturday according to the Weather Channel.

Still unfortunate that you lost the deer though, Jim.

davidmil 10-21-2003 08:38 AM

OPS... my bad... I was doing East Coast where it was something like 6:11.

hoytusa10 10-21-2003 01:40 PM

Sorry guys, the arrow wuz covered with blood all the way. I had a clear sight window and I could see the deer pretty good enough to make the shot. He kicked up his back legs and turned, which is why I couldn' t see where he actually was hit...but I know he was shot in his vital area... the shot felt good, the follow through, everything.. I just dunno!!

hoytusa10 10-21-2003 01:42 PM

Also, it was about 350 yds. until we lost all blood sign, and again, with 3 big puddles of blood at least a foot in diameter...

Browning_1 10-21-2003 01:54 PM

I recommend reading this article.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/deer/stringjumping/

Even though you felt the shot was good doesn' t mean you hit him good.

Sitter 10-21-2003 03:40 PM

The fact that he kicked his back legs tells me you may have hit him a little further back than you think. Was it a sharp quartering away shot? If it was, it doesnt take much error to put it in the hind quarters. Just my 2 cents.

hoytusa10 10-21-2003 07:46 PM

Browning, thanks for the website...and sitter as far as the kick back of the legs...(not to start ne thing) i' ve seen deer kick back their legs for a heart shot and lung shot...also i' ve been told that if they kick back their legs, its a heart shot, and from my uncles p.o.v. its a gut shot if they kick their legs...and to tell u the truth i dunno wut 2 believe ne more!!!LOL!!;)