Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow

Old 03-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Spike

Default Bow

Hello i am currently looking for a bow. I have 350$. Before i went to my local shop i slimmed down to buying the martin threshold online for 200$. Then i went to a shop to look and browse. I came across a matthews switchback LD. It is very nice and has good draw length. It shoots smooth and come with whisker bisuit sights and quiver. IT is 400$ though. Should i make a down payment on this bow or should i get the martin? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

The Matthews Switchback is generally considered one of the best shooting bows ever made. While its an older model, and certainly not the fastest, I think you'll like its accuracy and forgiveness. If I had to choose between the two, I would jump all over the Switchback. The accessories already being on the bow just make the deal that much sweeter. As it stands, the bow is ready to go - it probably just needs a little tuning and sighted in with whatever arrows you choose. You can always upgrade the sight, rest, and quiver later, as your budget allows. Also keep in mind that, if the Martin doesn't have accessories on it, you can easily spend more than $200 more on it just to get it field ready.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 AM
Spike

Default true

But thats the thing. The martin is 186$ with accesories and everything. I am really ...nervous i guess because i dont want to make a bad purchase. Also i want a bow now.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

If choosing between those 2 I would go with the Switchback. Maybe you could sweet talk them down to the 350$
Old 03-29-2016, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I am by no means a Mathews endorser, you are going to get 3 times the bow for twice the money between the 2. The Martin Threshold is a novice bow while the Switchback was one of Mathews Elite bows. Not to mention you have already had that switchback in your hands and know it feels good to you. With the "online" bow you don't have a clue until you get it whether or not you will like it. Cart before the horse there. A bow, especially a compound, has to fit you better than any other projectile tool for hunting. You can fit yourself to a compound SOMEWHAT but not all that much. The bow has to fit you or you will never be proficient with it.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey deerslayer55, get the Mathews switch back!
Old 04-02-2016, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

I would walk in with $350 cash and make an offer. If they don't accept it walk out and leave. If you really want it, come back the next day and make the offer again, and if they won't budge, and you really want it, then figure out a payment plan.
-Jake
Old 04-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya, get the switch-back
Old 04-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with the switchback. It's a no brainer for me!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have never held either bow, so can give no firsthand advice, I would read reviews on both bows as well as using the advice from this thread. Good luck with your choice, it is so much fun getting new equipment...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.