Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Boy, do I feel like a Dummy! >

Boy, do I feel like a Dummy!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Boy, do I feel like a Dummy!

Old 10-17-2003, 05:50 AM

Default Boy, do I feel like a Dummy!

Went out for an evening hunt yesterday. Got all settled in my stand and went to get my release. It was gone![:@] Then I remembered I went thru my buttpack that afternoon and set my release on the counter. Now, I' m sitting in my stand wondering what to do. Go back home and get it or stay put and take in the scenery. I chose the latter. Saw 2 decent bucks (just out of range) and several doe. It' s a good thing I didn' t see a wall-hanger, then I would' ve really been kicking myself in the butt. But all-in-all it was a good evening, taking in the scenery and relaxing in my favorite part of this world, " the deer woods" ![:-][:-]
Old 10-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Boy, do I feel like a Dummy!

I always head out into the field with 2 releases. I have heard storeis about guys dropping a release form their treestand, or loosing it on the way in, and ending up without a way to shoot. I added a 2nd to my pack about a year ago, just to be safe but figured it would never happen to me.

Wouldn' t you know it, Tuesday night I get into my tree, pull my release out of my pack and it was broken! Couldn' t get the jaws to open. Release cocked and fired correctly except the jaws felt like they were welded shut. I was glad for that backup buried down in the bottom of my pack.

Didn' t see any shooters, but I was glad I had the option if one did wander into bow range.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:04 AM

A few years back I was bow hunting 3 days in a row during the rut and was very excited and confident on my 3rd day. I got in the woods early and shimmied up the tree in my Summit. Well, I get all strapped in, secured, mask on, gloves on, etc. I go to pull my bow up and then realize I forgot to tie my pull rope onto my stand. Oops![&:]
Old 10-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

my release fell out of my pocket the other morning....i had to go back track......found it , got to my stand and i got a hog....but i lost him.....he leaped forward to run and it was a bad shot.....horrible......
Old 10-17-2003, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I did that last year. It sucks. Another goof I made, I forgot my knife. I shot a deer that day and had to field dress it with a broadhead. Not an easy task.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:11 AM

I' m glad i don' t shoot a release now. After hearing all these problems. Maybe the next bow I get I will use one, but for now I am comfortable using fingers.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a habit of strapping my release to my bow after each practice/hunt. So far I' ve been lucky with that routine. I do keep an spare release in my pack just in case though. Never know when it might be needed.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 AM

I forgot my stabilizer so many times two years ago, I bought a shorter one that I don' t have to take off. This year I' ve taken to forgetting my binocs.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL... hey at least the monster didn' t come in and stand there broadside at 15yds[]

My release is only ever 2 places...strapped to my wrist or strapped to my bow. The other option you have is practice shooting with fingers....

Quick Reply: Boy, do I feel like a Dummy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.