HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Sleepless Night Tonight!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/402443-sleepless-night-tonight.html)

ManofTheFall 11-02-2015 03:40 PM

Sleepless Night Tonight!!!!!

I was just going to get down out of my stand and I heard foot steps. I saw what looked to be a pretty good buck to my left. He came right in and gave me an 8 yard broadside shot. He kicked, hit the ground, got back up and bolted off. With the time and visibility, I wasn't quite sure of shot placement. I did get my arrow and it had bright red blood on it. It wasn't covered but it definitely wasn't a gut shot. I walked to the last place I saw him and there was good blood there. Since I wasn't sure of the shot placement I backed out and my son and I are going back in the morning. If I had to guess I would say he is at least 20" wide and 150" or better. I think he was at least a 10.

Bocajnala 11-02-2015 08:20 PM

Hmmmm, sounds like a dead deer Cant wait to see the pictures. Good luck on the recovery. Although, we'll all have a snicker when you recover a 12" 6 pointer :s4:

-Jake

peakrut 11-02-2015 08:29 PM

You did the right thing. Try to rest up so you are purely focused tomorrow. Good Luck!

ManofTheFall 11-03-2015 02:29 AM

Leaving to pick my son up now. I kept dreaming about but at least in my dreams it turned out good every time. Other than that it was difficult sleeping.

rockport 11-03-2015 04:26 AM

Good luck. Hopefully doing the right thing pays off.

tndrbstr 11-03-2015 04:45 AM

Leaving a deer over night is never an option for me.
Unless the regulations specifically state that I an not allowed in the area at night for any reason.

Between the coyotes and the high temps here last night the animal would be of very little value to me when I recovered it.

YMMV
Good luck, Hope you find it.

ManofTheFall 11-03-2015 08:03 AM

After going over all the sign, the arrow, the little bit of blood, the ground we covered, and playing the shot over in my head and conversing with the tracker we came to the conclusion this deer is still on his feet. So as bad as I feel right now, I want redemption that much more.

super_hunt54 11-03-2015 08:50 AM

I'd still be out there ManofTheFall. You didn't give yourself NEAR enough time to track that animal. Bad form in my book. If that deer kicked and hit the ground then more than likely you got a decent enough hit. Personally, I would be out there from daylight to dark until I found it or some sign that it wasn't a lethal hit. Pattern and grid search. You were out there what, maybe 3 hours? Hoof track it if you can't find good blood.

rockport 11-03-2015 09:34 AM

Yeah I'd still be out there.

tndrbstr 11-03-2015 10:02 AM

I'd go check his bed.