Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Potential Swamp Bedding Locations >

Potential Swamp Bedding Locations

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Potential Swamp Bedding Locations

Old 10-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default Potential Swamp Bedding Locations

I've dug hard recently looking for advice on locating bedding in thick timber, especially on public land, where the food sources and beddling locations can be pretty fluid and not so well defined as they are in agricultural areas. Much of what I've heard suggests checking tree or brush covered points and islands in cat-tail marshes. As I've yet to locate any of those (not sure if they're common where I'm hunting in the Adirondacks of New York state) I thought I'd check one of the swamps on the public property I'm hunting.

I've hilighted a few locations I plan to check in the image below. I think that I'll take a walk to them this weekend one way or another. I'd rather be in the outdoors than inside and this gives me a reason to get out there. I was hoping that some of you more experienced hunters would "grade my logic". Is it a reasonable assumption that there may be beds in these locations? My only concern is that from the overhead imagery these points are clearly covered with old growth evergreens, not thick, low, concealing cover.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

The best looking spot is the spot you circled to the south... But the other one looks good to, as does the small area just below the upper area that you did not circle.

Public swamps and marshes have been real good to me, and my thing is hunting the edge of bedding. Here is a good video about marsh bedding:
Old 10-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Spike

Dan it was a few of your videos including the one you linked, as well as hearing the Wired to Hunt podcasts on which you were a guest speaker, that led me to thinking I would try this swamp. Previously I had avoided them because they're not the same as cat tail marshes. It seems we don't have many cat tails at 2,000ft in the Adirondacks, or I'm just looking in the wrong places.

When you mention the small area just below the upper area that I didn't circle... are you talking about the small, tree-less bowl shaped area of marsh that cuts into the forest, extending to the east? (the photo is north oriented)

I'll check out those spots tomorrow after work I think. Thanks for the feedback bud.

Last edited by BowRookie; 10-28-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Let us know how it worked out for you.