Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Very frustrating >

Very frustrating

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very frustrating

Old 10-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've planted 4 Dunstan Chestnut trees on my 2 acres in Dixie County FL. They are slow growing & I need to keep them fenced because the deer love the leaves, but they are making progress. Got mine from Chestnut Hill Tree Farm in Alachua Fl. Easy to find on google. I'm planting multiples of anything I can think of that deer would like. Whatever grows best, I'll plant more of. Persimmons, peaches, pears, whatever. Lowes & Home Depot sell fruit & nut trees as well - see what grows well in your area & double up.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Right, with some exceptions like the Chestnut oak(white) and the pin oak(red)

Any way I can get my hands on these chestnut trees?
I don't normally promote magazines or anything but I find mentioning GameKeepers (farming for wildlife) at this time worth noting. They also sale trees and other shrubs off their site and have blight resistant chestnuts for sale.

10" Rapid Mast Blight Resistant Seedling for $9.99 each.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Spike

you can rattle this early. or entice with a molasses drip sock if baiting or lure isnt illegal where you are. you can try the old sock (clean of course or panty hose) mix a half quart liquid molasses or full with some peanut butter and some canola oil. Drop some rock salt into the sock, pour the molasses mix in, ties shut, hang at least 6ft high. deer will come and lick the ground. May not take to it at first, but usually hit it within a day or two. Or leave out peanut butter and toss grape packet of koolade or strawberry jello powder into sock with it.

Im in the same boat as you this year, hunt public where usually ALOT of deer but the place is mindboggling this year
Old 10-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I apologize for misleading you. Yes the chestnut oak is in the white oak family. My mistake. And not too big to admit it. Dang - first one this year. I thought I was going to make it all the way through 2015 without one!
As for the chestnut trees we have a couple growing up on top of the one mountain I hunt. Once those nuts drop they don't last long. I never saw a deer eating any. But I can't imagine how the deer bust that pointed husk up? They have to use their hoofs. I couldn't imagine them crushing them in their mouths. Those darn things hurt just picking them up with your bare hands.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-17-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I apologize for misleading you. Yes the chestnut oak is in the white oak family. My mistake. And not too big to admit it. Dang - first one this year. I thought I was going to make it all the way through 2015 without one!
As for the chestnut trees we have a couple growing up on top of the one mountain I hunt. Once those nuts drop they don't last long. I never saw a deer eating any. But I can't imagine how the deer bust that pointed husk up? They have to use their hoofs. I couldn't imagine them crushing them in their mouths. Those darn things hurt just picking them up with your bare hands.

Well did things pick up? They have for me.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

RP, I am still working on getting some American chestnuts for you to plant.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Well did things pick up? They have for me.
Deer are tearing the acorns up around here.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
RP, I am still working on getting some American chestnuts for you to plant.
Good luck with them ever reaching maturity. There is a lot of work being done right now to try and reestablish a blight resistant strain of the american chestnut, but I won't ever see it in my life time.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

My club is involved in the restoration of the American Chestnut program that grafting the American to the Chinese and planting the chestnuts. The nuts that we are getting now are considered to be American Chestnuts. This year over 3,000 third generation chestnuts were recovered from our club grounds and from another property and will be planted Some of the trees from this reintroduction program are 50 feet tall. It has happened in your lifetime.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
My club is involved in the restoration of the American Chestnut program that grafting the American to the Chinese and planting the chestnuts. The nuts that we are getting now are considered to be American Chestnuts. This year over 3,000 third generation chestnuts were recovered from our club grounds and from another property and will be planted Some of the trees from this reintroduction program are 50 feet tall. It has happened in your lifetime.
That's interesting. I'm not familiar with the grafting process. As I understand it, the US Forest Service experimented with the technic in the 1950s without much success.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.