Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooking the Deer..Please help

Old 10-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default Spooking the Deer..Please help

I have a stand on the edge of a corn, clover field. Around 5:30pm the up to 15 deer enter the clover from the corn and feed. I have yet to have one come within 50 yards. Close but no good shot yet. The problem is every time i exit the stand at the end of the hunt..after dark.. I spook the deer. How can I hunt these deer? They are not moving through the woods, there bedding in the corn!
Any advise.. I want a doe.. Cant shoot a buck for the first 2 weeks.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Doe Decoy. Make sure there is motion.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

DIY - ever had success with a doe decoy on does?? Asking as I've only had negative reactions by does to any decoy. They've backed off and blown/stomped on every occasion.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:01 AM
Spike

decoy could be an option, but there are 4 bucks also moving in the area and i dont want them to bust me. Where i live we can not shoot a buck for the first 2 weeks of the season.. Very stupid rule!
Lat night there were only 4 out in the field. I think after being seen a few times, they are not coming out like they did before. It is going to rain for the next few days. Ill give the area a rest but i think it will be luck if one walks by...I may have to set another hanging stand in another place
Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would also try a lost fawn call in that situation.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Spike

I have a true talker...never had a lot of luck with it. Had a few small bucks stamp their feet but thats it. Maybe ill try to use the faw distress sound. cant hurt. Thx
Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait until the corn comes out.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by warrior_joe View Post
I have a stand on the edge of a corn, clover field. Around 5:30pm the up to 15 deer enter the clover from the corn and feed. I have yet to have one come within 50 yards. Close but no good shot yet. The problem is every time i exit the stand at the end of the hunt..after dark.. I spook the deer. How can I hunt these deer? They are not moving through the woods, there bedding in the corn!
Any advise.. I want a doe.. Cant shoot a buck for the first 2 weeks.

Move!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Spike

Move is right. I looked for another place, but would have to set up a ground blind. They know where i am.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I wouldn't hunt it until the corn is gone like Rockport said. All you're doing now is educating the deer where your stand is. BTW, you really don't need a stand or a blind to bowhunt deer. I've shot plenty just standing against a large tree. The trick is to only move at the right times. Or you can get yourself a little stool and place it by a nice sized tree and put a little brush around to break up your outline.
Save that stand for later in the year.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service