HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Spooking the Deer..Please help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/401894-spooking-deer-please-help.html)

warrior_joe 10-07-2015 02:19 PM

Spooking the Deer..Please help

I have a stand on the edge of a corn, clover field. Around 5:30pm the up to 15 deer enter the clover from the corn and feed. I have yet to have one come within 50 yards. Close but no good shot yet. The problem is every time i exit the stand at the end of the hunt..after dark.. I spook the deer. How can I hunt these deer? They are not moving through the woods, there bedding in the corn!
Any advise.. I want a doe.. Cant shoot a buck for the first 2 weeks.

DIY_guy 10-07-2015 06:18 PM

Doe Decoy. Make sure there is motion.

wallhangr 10-08-2015 10:55 AM

DIY - ever had success with a doe decoy on does?? Asking as I've only had negative reactions by does to any decoy. They've backed off and blown/stomped on every occasion.

warrior_joe 10-09-2015 04:01 AM

decoy could be an option, but there are 4 bucks also moving in the area and i dont want them to bust me. Where i live we can not shoot a buck for the first 2 weeks of the season.. Very stupid rule!
Lat night there were only 4 out in the field. I think after being seen a few times, they are not coming out like they did before. It is going to rain for the next few days. Ill give the area a rest but i think it will be luck if one walks by...I may have to set another hanging stand in another place

wallhangr 10-09-2015 05:36 AM

Would also try a lost fawn call in that situation.

warrior_joe 10-09-2015 06:00 AM

I have a true talker...never had a lot of luck with it. Had a few small bucks stamp their feet but thats it. Maybe ill try to use the faw distress sound. cant hurt. Thx

rockport 10-09-2015 06:06 AM

Wait until the corn comes out.

RWK 10-09-2015 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by warrior_joe (Post 4222266)
I have a stand on the edge of a corn, clover field. Around 5:30pm the up to 15 deer enter the clover from the corn and feed. I have yet to have one come within 50 yards. Close but no good shot yet. The problem is every time i exit the stand at the end of the hunt..after dark.. I spook the deer. How can I hunt these deer? They are not moving through the woods, there bedding in the corn!
Any advise.. I want a doe.. Cant shoot a buck for the first 2 weeks.

Move!!!!!!!!!

warrior_joe 10-09-2015 08:27 PM

Move is right. I looked for another place, but would have to set up a ground blind. They know where i am.

bronko22000 10-10-2015 08:49 AM

Well I wouldn't hunt it until the corn is gone like Rockport said. All you're doing now is educating the deer where your stand is. BTW, you really don't need a stand or a blind to bowhunt deer. I've shot plenty just standing against a large tree. The trick is to only move at the right times. Or you can get yourself a little stool and place it by a nice sized tree and put a little brush around to break up your outline.
Save that stand for later in the year.

warrior_joe 10-14-2015 05:25 AM

thanks for the advise! I am waiting until the corn is down. In the future i will learn how to hunt from the ground. I have hunted from a tree stand for more than 40 years. Getting to old to climb 20' high these days!

stalkingbear 10-14-2015 06:39 AM

What I do when hunting near a cornfield if I'm the only 1 allowed there is to pay the person for the corn at going rate they sell by bushel to leave a couple strips unharvested so it'll be there all winter drawing them. The fact they are busting you on entrance or exit you'll have to move stand almost daily, and/or have a buddy decoy himself to distract them while you get in stand, and/or make a WIDE loop, and/or have a buddy walk with you and when you drop off, he keeps walking.

warrior_joe 10-15-2015 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let him walk by last night. To early in the year to take this ugly 6pt.