Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arm guard idea

Old 10-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default arm guard idea

I dont know if any of you have had trouble with your arm guard(especially the 2 strap versions) bulging out as you move around and then when you shoot your string hits it. I tried this and believe it or not it works, but it only works when you have a few layers of clothes on like a sweatshirt and then your bowhunting jacket...
I worry more about my string hitting my coat or my armguard than anything.
so the other night i was sitting in my garage trying to decide on whether or not to go buy one of the armguards with 3 or more straps on it when i came up with the idea to take an old pair of my wifes nylons and cut the very end (by where he toes would go) with scissors and then i stuck my arm in and pulled it from my wrist to above my elbow then i marked them and took them back off and then cut them where i marked them and it holds my coat and everything in tight against my arm and works really good....
let me know if anyone tries this and like it.
It works on the same principle at those camoskinz that they sell in cabelas...
only a lot cheaper, probably not as good but what the heck they still serve the purpose....
Old 10-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arm guard idea

Something else to consider is that arm slap is usually indicative of too long a draw length which causes poor form. If you shoot a sub 7" brace height bow with heavy winter clothing, even if your form is good chances are arm slap could be an issue.

Once bow fit and form is addressed, arm guards can become one less thing to worry about...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:00 PM

WILK,

That works great for me! I' ve used it many times. I understand what you' re getting at. With bulky clothing there is always the chance that your string will catch. The nylon works great, weighs nothing and costs about nothing.

Throw a few in your pack and you' re set for the season.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Yea macdaddy thats what i was getting at, it just keeps everything in tight, i kinda figured someone else would have thought of that,,, Im glad it works for you, im gonna shoot some tonight with it on real quick and then im going after the big one!!!