Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck fever/ animal fever

Old 10-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buck fever/ animal fever

I tend to be the most excited when I first spot the animal. As it approaches I' m usually able to calm myself down enough to take a good shot if it' s presented. I start talking to myself alot to slow my breathing, concentrate on the target and watch/wait for that moment to draw the bow. Once I' m at that point I get into a zone and release the shot when the right time comes.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I am suffering from this something terrible this year. Last year was my first year to bow hunt in the past 10 years. I missed my one shot opprotunity last year and 2 misses this year. I have found that when hunting the thick under brush of east TX. Most of the time my shooting lanes are few and narrow. I get in a rush in fear of missing my narrow window. I hope I can get past this before I get completely discouraged.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:57 AM

I hope I never lose that pumped up feeling! That is why I love hunting. Experience and patience will allow you to calm down more and more each time you see an animal. The first one of the season always gets me going. After that I stay much more poised. I love it.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:15 AM

Heart Attack...

That' s what it felt like. First time I came eye-to-eye on the ground with a buck at 4 yards. There was so much adrenaline dumped into my system that I could not draw either. I about soiled my shorts.

Man what a feeling!
Old 10-20-2003, 09:50 AM

my first incounter with deer and bow,was a spike buck.he was following a doe,I got ready and waited for the broad side shot.he turned his head and was scratching his ear with his off side foot. that gave me a shot with the shoulder pulled foward[X(].I drew back,calm and not excited a bit. I released and watched as the arrow hit him in the back foot!![][:@].

ever since then,I have talked the deer in and my slef calm.I have told my wife to talk to herslef and she says that it helps her.

you may try talking to yourslef;talk the animal inand where you want it.that gives you something to think about besides the animal.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:06 AM

If I have a big buck come in, I immediately go into total zoned focus mode. I don' t look at the antlers at this point. I am zoned in on the spot, thats all I will look at. It is almost a trace like state of mind. Once I have the spot and I am at full draw, I am at 100% concentration on ABSRF.

A- Anchor
B- Bend at the waist
S- Pick the spot
R- Release
F- Follow thru

When you are total focused, any nervousness will leave you, It seems to me as though I am totaly relaxed. Now after a shot I am shaking like leaf!!!!