Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dressing out the kill >

Dressing out the kill

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dressing out the kill

Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dressing out the kill

Question; I have a small parcel of land (10 acres) that is surrounded by Private land, which I also live on. my question is; how would those with the same go about dressing their kill? Would you do it at the site of the kill or would you bring it back the house and dress it? Does anyone feel the deer would be affected by it? Would it bring in Yotes? Those are questions I had going through my head.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

I would Field dress it somewhere on the site. Most of the entrails and everything else will most likely be gone in a few days. Have taken several deer within 50 yards of where I dressed a deer out. God Luck
Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would field dress it where it fell. If you are worried about it, go back with a shovel after you get your deer home and bury the entrails. I have shot deer from my stand, field dressed them where they fell and went back a few days later and killed another from the same stand. Deer do not know what entrails are and coons, foxes possums and birds will clean them up..
Old 09-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Agreed, won't bother deer. May want to leave the pile in sight of your house so you can whack any coyotes that may come for it.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Dress it there, that will be fine.... OR do like this guys does. I have done this on a few that I got close to the house, because it was allot easier and cleaner. Just hang them, and gut them while skinning, it all drops out pretty nicely.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I would field dress it where it fell. If you are worried about it, go back with a shovel after you get your deer home and bury the entrails. I have shot deer from my stand, field dressed them where they fell and went back a few days later and killed another from the same stand. Deer do not know what entrails are and coons, foxes possums and birds will clean them up..
I agree and if attracting yotes are an issue then bury the guts. I have some private land I am allowed to hunt on and the owner hates yotes so he always makes me drag the deer up near his house to field dress then bury the entrails.