Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trespassers

Old 10-15-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Trespassers

Just curious.
How many people have run into someone in the woods, and the person acted like the property was theirs, and they try to run you off when the land is yours or you have permisson?
Have you hunted property that is not posted, without landowner permisson, only to have someone else, who does not have permission, tell you to leave or that they are going to turn you in?
2 years ago I was hunting this patch of timber that was by my inlaws old place ( we had used part of it to ride a 3 wheeler in for years without anybody ever saying anything). My inlaws moved in town for health reasons. I was new to hunting so I went back to these woods because I knew that other people were using them for hunting. I told this one guy( that was using the woods ) that I had seen a real nice buck in there. The next thing you know my stand gets stolen, and I get a letter on my windshield that says " this is your only warning, next time I will turn you in" . I heard that the truck that pulled up next to mine had been seen at this guys house before( his hunting buddy ).
I went to the courthouse to find out who owned the land. 2 older ladies who lived in Missouri had inherited it. After talking to them I found out that they didn' t want anybody hunting there. I haven' t gone back, but I was talking to another guy where I am now hunting on public land, and he told me that he knew that property, and had about 8 buddies hunting there. I knew that people were hunting in there, but I didn' t know that many were. I will never know where my stand ended up.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:12 PM

Default RE: Trespassers

if i were you I would call the ladies back and turn the people in.. and tell the ladies that you will keep check on it.. and maybe in the future they might let you hunt on it for helping them out and keeping unwanted tresspassers off
Old 10-15-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had this happen to me yesterday. I ran into a guy in the woods that tried to chase me off the property I was hunting and it wasn' t even his. He said there are already enough hunters on the property and that it was too crowded. Meanwhile the property isn' t posted and the landowner is my landlord. I had full permission to hunt there but none of them have ever asked ! [:@] That burns me up. I told my landlord about it yesterday and he said he' d look into it. I told him where these guys were parking their vehicles so he could track them down.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2003, 09:06 PM

I have ran into people like that...big problem on our land, and since its only 56 acres and the people that used it all the time lived right by it they were impossible to catch just about unless you just ran into them...they were riding 4 wheelers, setting traps, etc. and this was our prviate land! I called the sheriff and they said that unless I caught them in the act and got him out there while they were there, nothing would ever come of it...i couldnt even press charges. i told the people repeatedly not to go out there and that they had no permission from the landowner (myself). finally, i just gave in and found somewhere else to hunt...it is really annoying though to go out and hunt and have some kids ride up on a four wheeler when the deer are already really skittish...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 PM

Bowhuntrey (and really ANYONE with similar problems) you need to just backtrack those 4 wheeler tracks to see where those redneck trespassers are entering your land from. These people are typically VERY lazy and typically follow the same patterns each time. Once their " entrance" is found, you should buy some roofing nails, paint them brown or black and then pour them out along their " route" . Once they blow each tire out at the same time, they will " get your point" and will learn to stay away then. If they dont, do it again and keep repeating until they get it through their heads. Handle the nails with gloves and always throw the spraypaint can away after each use (dispose of the cans in an area untraceable back to you). Keep NO reciepts of paint, nails etc and pay cash. That way even in the REMOTEST of possibilities that for some reason they could get a law enforcement officer to " investigate" it (which they wouldnt because they are TRESPASSING!), they have NO WAY to prove you did anything!

FIGHT DIRTY REDNECKS WITH EVEN DIRTIER TACTICS!!!
RA

ps
Also might consider having some Posted signs hung that read: " NO trespassing, those found here at night WILL be found here in the morning!!!"
Old 10-15-2003, 10:34 PM

RA,

I like the sign...similar to the " NO TRESPASSING: violators will be shot, survivors will be prosecuted" . I considered the nail strip idea, but was told that they could sue and more than likely win even though they were on our land without permission. believe me, it barely held me back...
Old 10-16-2003, 06:00 AM

Trail cam with no trespassing sign in the backgound will work wonders. Usually a registered letter with the picture in it will stop all of the property line problems. Especially if its the younger generation of the house and Mom and Pop get the letter.
B
Old 10-16-2003, 09:46 AM

A good friend of mine purchased 20 acres and built a nice house on it. He was sitting out on his porch one morning and some guy was putting up a stand about 100 yards away! My bud walked over and asked him if that was a good spot. The guy told him to get off his land or he would turn him in for interfearing with a hunter. My bud had his Cordless Phone from the house with him and handed it to the guy and told him to call. The guy called and the game warden came out. He asked a few questions, and it turned out that the hunter had made a wrong turn and was setting up his " stand" about 1 mile from where he thought he was. He had never been to his family land but from the directions he was told there was a new house and the land went to within 30 feet of the north side. My bud told him that had a choice to help him move a wood pile, or pay the fine! He chose to move the wood pile. The game warden said that would be OK and the guy helped my friend move the wood pile. After lunch they got to talking and it turns out the guy had about 150 acres and only gun hunted it. Since my bud had been cool about the whole misunderstanding and kept a light tone he told him that he would let him bowhunt there if he helped him put up his stands.

Now the guy stays at my buds house during gun season and they all get to hunt the land.

They don' t all end up bad!
Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

That' s a touchy situation. You know that the other people don' t have permission to be there, but by the same token you don' t either. So in essence, you' re both wrong. As for stealing your stand - that' s just BS, but it' s a whole other story if you want to get into hunters hurting other hunters.

As someone else mentioned - I would call the ladies back and see if you can' t make them a deal. You' ll watch their land and keep trespassers off if she agrees to let you hunt there. That' s the deal I have with the people who own much of the land I hunt on. In fact, they originally told me no when I asked for permission then they came back to me a year later and said they had so much trouble with trespassers that they would be more than glad to let me hunt if I would help them out. So ya never know, it might work out for the best.

Quick Reply: Trespassers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.