Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Single or multi pin sight? >

Single or multi pin sight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single or multi pin sight?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Spike

Default Single or multi pin sight?

What is the best sight for bow hunting? Multi or single pin?
Old 08-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

No one can give you an honest answer for that. Some guys like the single pins and some the multis. I prefer the multi pins because at the moment of truth I don't want to be messing with adjusting my pin setting. The single pin users claim that it obscures less of the target. I can see that even though I've never used one.
When on stand I range different objects so when my target approaches I know what pin to use when it presents a shot. Still hunting, if I have come within range, or one comes to me, I only have to hit him with the range finder.
Another thing I like about the multi is if I have a deer at 40 yards and a branch at 20 I can put my 40 yard pin on the deer and check the 20 yard pin on the branch. If it is above or below the branch I have a clear shot. Something you don't have with a single pin.
Now a single pin user can set his pin at 30 yards and hold low for 20 and high for 40.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

^ all good points.
for all of my 25 years of shooting i shot a multi-pin sight but when i set up my new bow this year i realized my astigmatism caused all the pins would obscure and became tough to separate. later i went to a another style of multi-pin and then a single which made an enormous difference. it was great but once i saw what HHA had going i quickly bought one and in the end i wound up with a 5519xl.
my only mistake has been not trying one earlier.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points by both guys. Another reason for single pin is that as your eyes get older (I'm 68) and bows get faster the pins are closer together and just become a rainbow, and I can't differentiate one from the other. So for me it's single pin sights. Even when I used multi-pin sights I only used 2 pins (20 & 30).

So I'd have to say that a good hunting sight is one that you like and one you can see. Afterall, a pin is a pin.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Good points by both guys. Another reason for single pin is that as your eyes get older (I'm 68) and bows get faster the pins are closer together and just become a rainbow, and I can't differentiate one from the other. So for me it's single pin sights. Even when I used multi-pin sights I only used 2 pins (20 & 30).

So I'd have to say that a good hunting sight is one that you like and one you can see. Afterall, a pin is a pin.
Ditto!!!I would go with only 2 or 3 pins at the most myself for the very same reasons.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

BG - I know what you mean. I just turned 62 myself. Eyes are still pretty good - especially for distance. I use a 5 pin sight with pins set 20 - 60 yards. I was seriously thinking about moving everything down and have my first pin at 30. (There is only about 2" difference - if that) between my 20 & 30 yard pins.) Then, because I am using a heavier arrow my pins should be spaced a little farther apart going from 30 - 70 yards.
Too late this year but I may experiment with that after the season.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer a single. My farthest shot opportunity is usually no more than 30 yards, but normally less than 20.
Single makes it much easier. I use an HHA Optimizer.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
I prefer a single. My farthest shot opportunity is usually no more than 30 yards, but normally less than 20.
Single makes it much easier. I use an HHA Optimizer.
This is normally my situation also. But there is always that chance. I arrowed my 2nd biggest buck to date a couple years ago at 43 yards. I saw his rack coming through the high weeds and he stopped on the two track to sniff the ground where I had passed with a drag rag. I ranged him and drew back just as he was taking a step. A soft "baaaa" stopped him and I sent the arrow on its way. Had I needed to adjust my single pin sight I likely would have lost the opportunity.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
This is normally my situation also. But there is always that chance. I arrowed my 2nd biggest buck to date a couple years ago at 43 yards. I saw his rack coming through the high weeds and he stopped on the two track to sniff the ground where I had passed with a drag rag. I ranged him and drew back just as he was taking a step. A soft "baaaa" stopped him and I sent the arrow on its way. Had I needed to adjust my single pin sight I likely would have lost the opportunity.
while i do get what you're saying this situation is completely manageable even with a single pin.
if i'm set up on my hha for a 30 yard shot and something comes in at 45 yards i have 2 choices i can try to adjust or i'll do what i've been practicing since i started using it and hold the pin 2" high on the animal.
preparing for the worst might be the difference between hitting the dirt or tagging out.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
while i do get what you're saying this situation is completely manageable even with a single pin.
if i'm set up on my hha for a 30 yard shot and something comes in at 45 yards i have 2 choices i can try to adjust or i'll do what i've been practicing since i started using it and hold the pin 2" high on the animal.
preparing for the worst might be the difference between hitting the dirt or tagging out.
Yeah the key here is practice. If you're going to use a single pin sight - know where to hold at known distances beyond your pin's set position.
I'm not arguing a case one way or the other. Both have their pros and cons. I just know what works for me and what I like. I did contemplate getting a single pin but went with the multi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.