Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any casualties in new york deer poplulation opening day southern???

Old 10-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default any casualties in new york deer poplulation opening day southern???

any luck anyone w/ this weather!??
Old 10-15-2003, 07:49 PM

Default RE: any casualties in new york deer poplulation opening day southern???

I spent most of the afternoon shaking my head wondering what the heck I was doing in a tree on a day like that. Wind was blowing so hard I could barely keep my eyes open.

Then hail, rain and COOOOOOOLD!!!

All that after a week in the 70' s

[:@]
Old 10-15-2003, 08:17 PM

I' v turned into a " fare weather hunter" ,,these days.Not just because of my expensive bows,,I just wan' t to be comfortable when I' m out there[:-]
Old 10-15-2003, 08:19 PM

I was out today in Corning, NY - and yes... the WIND was unbelievable. This morning I thought it was bad... (the wind)... saw one deer at 8am. Back in the stand at 3pm and was out of it by 3:45. The tree I was in was moving 3 feet in all directions... too much for me. I can get that at 6 Flags. After I got out of the stand I sat in a thicket on the edge of a feeding plot that I have seen deer in every time I have been out scouting in the last month. This afternoon... not a deer to be found.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any NY' er that was in a treestand today has got to be out of his mind!!!!! There was gusts reported up to 85mph. My wife came home from work via rt. 81. She said going around left hand curves, she had the wheel turned to the right! I was planning on heading to camp Tuesday for today' s opener, but decided it was best to keep my butt home until this passed. I' m on my way tomorrow morning. Suppose to be better, but still calling for 10-20mph winds yet. Southern bow is starting the same way as Northern bow, crappie[X(]!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw a doe at 40 yds - I was happy with that.

My hair looked like " Kramer from Sienfeld" when I got in this evening.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:26 PM

Woodguy,I see this is your first post.Welcome to the board.If you live in Corning I' m only 30 miles east of you in Waverly.I do all my hunting in Tioga and Chemung county' s.I didn' t go out opening day because the wind was blowing so hard,50 miles an hour and more!Deer don' t seem to like it much either and don' t move much.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:22 AM

i live in westmonore ny didint go out wensday went out thrusday hit a 4 point ran out of blood and look al thursday night and all friday morning and afternoon dont know what happen found my arrow i got about 11 inch of arrow in him a think a hit the shoulder blade....[:' (] went out saturday night in the same area so 2 does and a botton buck something had the deer spooked... they were very nervous.. the booton was 15 yards was hopeing the big doe step out she did at 40 yards to far for me... i am new at bow hunting and this frist deer wiith a bow is though aint like shooting at 3-ds... have good feeling about this year.... just hate to hit one and lose it... feel really bad!!!!!!! good luck to you fellow ny bowhunters
Old 10-20-2003, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I left Maryland real early so I could be in Boonville in time to hang a stand and hunt Wed PM. It was blowing so hard I didn' t even feel safe hanging a stand. I just kissed the day off as far as hunting. I did whack a doe Thursday evening.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I had some luck in Bath, NY. Took a nice 8 point with 17 1/2" inside spread thursday around 6:30 PM. THe wind was blowing hard until around 5:30 and that is when the deer activity picked up.

Quick Reply: any casualties in new york deer poplulation opening day southern???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.