Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!! >

Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Ever heard of a Lifeline? If so, how does it work & is it worth the money?

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/lifelines-1/
Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

That right there is what I was talking about. Except I Just rigged my own. The slip knot (prusik) used to go up and down is a very easily tied knot

All those cowbell carabiner covers and reflective stuff in the rope are bells and whistles I can do without. My carabiners are coated with the same stuff (tool dip) I put on my shop tool handles so they don't clank and the reflective rope would be your choice if you think you need it. But the idea of it is fantastic since you are locked in on the way up, transferring into and out of your stands and on the way down. If tied properly the prusik knot slides easily.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I saw those as I was browsing around the web looking for harnesses. The knot actually looks really easy to make, especially from the diagram you posted. Still looking around for harnesses. I don't want a cheaply made one, but I definitely don't want to be spending $150 or more on one. Don't have that kind of spare change laying around.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the one I use. http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/hss-lil-treestalker/ It's comfortable and easy as heck to put on. I used to use my old tree climbing harness that was always such a MAJOR pain in the rear. Everything all tangled up, in the dark it was near impossible to figure out which strap went where. I'd get so dang mad I'd just say to hell with it and go up without one.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Spike

one thing I notice is a lot of people attach their system to the tree at the seat level. if you attach it as high as you can reach, and you should fall it will catch you in a shorter distance, therefore eliminating injuries from the system. remember that the weight of a falling object (and stopping force) is greater as the distance of fall increases. Another issue is people building their own system with carabiners you get at walmart. Those are for utility use only and are not rated for life safety usage. I personally orderd life safety rope and locking carabiners that are NFPA certified . to make my system.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

This is a good thread which should be read by all tree stand hunters. I once read that one out of four tree stand hunters will have an accident within their hunting lifetime. Not good odds no matter how you look at it. People say it can't happen to me because I am careful but a friend of mine who is a hunter ed instructor with years of experience had a bad fall while bow hunting in Illinois. He was using a climbing tree stand and had his HSS vest on but didn't connect the safety harness with the prussic knot as he went up. He got to his hunting height and before he could hook up his safety strap the stand fell. He broke his neck, ribs and did something to his spleen. He had a cell phone and called for help otherwise he would't have made it. That safety strap with the prussic knot is real easy to slide up as you go. The HSS vest has a lineman's belt which hooks up and allows you to use 2 hands when putting up lock on stands. Money well spent and costs less than a single stand. Glad you shared ManofTheFall
Old 08-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it saves one it is well worth it. I can't say I'm glad it happened but I can say I'm thankful it happened when it did and my injuries were minimal. The paramedics said they get about 4 tree stand accidents per year and I was the first one they ever saw walk away without being carried out. When they saw where my stand was they just couldn't believe it. I believe I had a little more than luck on my side. I am almost 49 years old and definitely can't afford or handle another fall like that again. It definitely woke me up not just to harness safety but to all aspects of stand safety.

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 08-31-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad you walked away. Just to clarify that prussic knot safety strap. The strap is about 5' long and has a loop so you can run it around the tree and pass the end through the loop so it cinches when pulled. The prussic knot looks like what is pictured and goes around the strap. You can cinch the strap on the tree and slid the prussic knot up or down the tail of the strap. The HSS safety tether hooks to the loop on the prussic knot by a carabiner. With the climber just go up a few hitches then slide the safety strap up another 3' and climb to it then push it up again. You are always attached to the tree.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad your better ManoThefall, I remember reading the thread about your accident, good luck healing the rest of the way. I fell out of a stand a few years back, i was drawing back on a nice 10 point when the old stand collapsed, i knew the stand was in bad shape but was to "busy" to fix it and thought i'd be careful and get one more year out of it. After i went down i thought the arrow stuck me as i was bleeding, fortunately a branch just cut me. I just got bruised and cut, but learned a valuable lesson the hard way also. Some guys get to busy with things and can neglect safety to get out hunting. They're some bad storys out there with tree stand falls. Champlain Islander, did your friend get paralyzed?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet, good thread! Hey Champlain Islander, did your bud get paralyzed? I hope not?