Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shots

Old 08-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would NEVER take a neck shot!

HJ
Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
shooting a deer in the neck with a bow imo is not an acceptable shot. Yes it is a killing shot but the chance of wounding, even fatally wounding the animal and not finding it is to great. If you can't put an arrow into the heart/lung area you shouldn't shoot at all.
x2......

Hj
Old 08-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i see some of you guy's are from the north east and i used to live in western new york and hunted in pa as well and you are correct on the neck shot debate and i used to live by that policy as well but here in arizona where i live now you might only see one animal your hole hunt let alone get a shot so if i can take a straight on neck shot i'm taking it especially on a big elk come on you guy's wont shoot a animal straight on at 5 yards ? obviously i wouldn't take that shot much further!!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think nothing of it with either bow of rifle. If I am not comfortable that I can put the broadhead or the bullet through the heart-lung area I just pass.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i see some of you guy's are from the north east and i used to live in western new york and hunted in pa as well and you are correct on the neck shot debate and i used to live by that policy as well but here in arizona where i live now you might only see one animal your hole hunt let alone get a shot so if i can take a straight on neck shot i'm taking it especially on a big elk come on you guy's wont shoot a animal straight on at 5 yards ? obviously i wouldn't take that shot much further!!
i get what you're saying but all of us chance not seeing an animal. if we were taking a deer every time we went out it wouldn't be called "hunting".
it doesn't matter whether you're using a gun or bow, part of being an ethical hunter is to only take a shot that offers a clean kill and doesn't result in the animal to needlessly suffer because of a low percentage shot. regardless of who has downed a deer due to a neck shot it isn't what you're supposed to be aiming for.
my opinion, vitals or don't shoot.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

On a rifle I like the neck shot, with a bow I personally wouldn't try it.
-Jake
Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry but if you you don't think you can make a five yard neck shot on a elk standing still maybe you shouldn't be bow hunting ! sorry i know this is going to start a pissing match but i'm going to say my peace on it !
Old 08-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Heart/lung. Broadheads kill by hemorrhaging, which means hitting where there will be lots of bleeding. Neck shots can work but are risky at best.

And just to add a bit of fuel to the fire (just for fun) regarding 5 yard shots - how many bow hunters really know what pin to use and where the point of impact will be?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straight on is not the same as a side neck shot.
You are passing thru the neck into the vitals - still only an option for close experianced shooters.
From the side you are just hoping to get lucky.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, this topic has come up a few times in the past. Your the licensed hunter take the shot you are confident in.

For the point of discussion though. The great vessels in the neck bleed out quickly. Perhaps quicker than a heart shot as the heart is still desperately pumping to keep the blood pressure up. Which forces the blood to drain quicker. If your arrow hits the heart it's not going to be able to produce an organized contraction cycle and the pulse will either slacken, or fail. Most likely fail.

Like any shot you have to take them as they come and evaluate them in the moment. If you don't feel you can make a humane kill hold off for a better opportunity.

You know what, I think I'll go shoot by bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.