Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting

Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default Scouting

I'm new to bow hunting. I've had my trail cameras out scouting this spring and summer. I had two really nice bucks recently on camera where I have my stand. I have high hopes of seeing them during season but is that really realistic? How can I try to keep them around. Any info would be great.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Yes and no. Right now, those bucks are still in a summer pattern. If you can hunt them early in the season, you can probably predict their movements if you have enough info abou them on your trail cams. However, once the rut starts, they'll start getting pretty unpredictable. If they were hanging out together, they'll split up and start covering a lot of mileage and chasing does. At that point, the only thing that'll keep them local is a good supply of hot does. Food plots can have a trickle-down effect during the rut (does stay where there's high quality forage and if one of those does is hot, bucks will be around) however, food plots work best later in the season. Good forage is scarce and food moves back to the number one thing on a buck's mind. All in all, your best bet would be to set up on the downwind side of where you've been seeing them regularly, and keep your fingers crossed!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Spike

Great. Thank you. My stand is right on the edge of a bean field where my camera is. So they got plenty of food source. There's a nice trail where plenty of them walk along the field. I've had countless does on camera so maybe that's a good sign too.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

That bean field will cease to be an attractant as soon as the leaves turn yellow. Which, depending on where you are located, may even be before the season starts.