Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My 2015 new gear, new year season journal >

My 2015 new gear, new year season journal

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 2015 new gear, new year season journal

Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
I found on my other bow it acted as a buffer to keep the knicks and dings away from the bow itself.
Well DIY with the price of bows these days that is reason enough. Its getting crazy. Good luck with the new gear.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:37 AM
Typical Buck

The Maxima Red 250's were underspinded because of the extra weight of the brass insert and extra broadhead (Its like shooting a 150 grain broadhead) so I bought a dozen 350's. While Im waiting on them to arrive in the mail I paper tuned with a 350 I had on hand. I will make sure the tune is still good when the new arrows show up and then I'll do some walk back tuning before I sight it in.

With 72 ft/lbs of KE and lots of speed Im going to give 8 blades a try. A 4 blade slick trick magnum up front and behind that a 4 blade "all blade". It adds only 10 grains (and I like adding the weight up front)

Im almost ready to sight this new rig in. Im loving only drawing 57 lbs.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

Last night I refined my paper tuning by doing walk back tuning to 40 yards since the winds finally calmed down. I got 20, 30 and 40 yard pins set and will work on the 50 and 60 tonight. Ive never owned such a fast bow. It was a struggle to get the 30 yard pin any closer to the 20 yard pin due to the size of the metal around the pin. They are slammed together. Once I get all the pins set using field points I will switch to broadheads.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

Im doing additional experimenting with modified silicone to add weight to the bow that acts as vibration dampening.

Another 3D printed mold.

Filled with the silicone/cornstarch mixture and brown oil based paint.

After an hour I pull it from the mold.

I have to split the two edges with a razor in order to get it on the bow limbs and then reseal the splits with silicone to glue the split.

I'll add another to the bottom limb and shoot the bow to see the effect but right off the bat, this stuff is heavy but its a good, vibration absorbing weight. If it makes sense and feels right, I will keep them on the bow.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

The new bow works just fine.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like good lung sign. Question, what state are you in DIY? The reason I ask is I was looking at a state list of archery regs to see how many have restrictions on "barbed" broadhead designs and found quite a few. That B.O.S.S. system you mounted up would definitely qualify as a "barbed" broadhead.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

WI and WI abandoned its barbed head restriction many years ago. I did not update my blog with the latest, but I opted against using the BOSS. After broadhead tuning with the slick tricks, I added the boss and flight took a real turn for the negative. I will investigate adding them at a later date.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I wouldn't want to use that system myself. Kind of "overkill" and looks like you would end up sacrificing a LOT of penetration. Them Slick tricks you have will do more than enough as long as you do your job and put them through the lungs as is evidenced by that last pick you posted I've put them and G5's through a lot of critters. Aint had one yet go far from a well placed shot from either one.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

I drove up state on Friday night to get ready for Saturday morning's opener. The forecast for opening morning was lows 40's and no winds. (I like a little wind).

Rise and no shine was at 4:45 am. I could see my breath. Based on my goal of testing out the new rig on the first deer to cross my path and based on the fact that the trail cam card being full at the site where an apple tree stands 10 yards from an Oak raining down acorns on the edge of a corn field, I headed for that stand. The woods breaks downward pretty quick from the edge of the field. Even though Im in a 15 foot ladder stand, a few feet from the stand Its more like being 20 feet up. Here is a brief video of my view from the stand I took shortly after sunup.

I wasnt in the stand long before the first acorn hit me in the head. There was a constant shower of acorns. I recent started wearing hearing aids. I cant believe all the sounds I was missing. It was great to hear everything again. The acorns, the crows, the small rodents feasting on the nuts, the geese and cows in the distance. It was pretty sweet.

It was still too dark to shoot when the new hearing aids picks up the distinct cruncha-cruncha-cruncha of a deer walking through oak leaves. Below me was a lone deer looking for a morning snack. I watched (and heard) the doe crunching acorns like they were going out of style. She was like a vacuum cleaner. I would have thought the apples would have been better but Im not a deer. After 15 minutes and no other deer showing up and more than enough daylight I clipped on and got ready. By now the deer was directly beneath me and slightly quartering away.

Bend at the waist, Draw, kisser in the corner of the mouth, nose on the string, line up the peep and since the deer in only 6 feet from the base of the tree, I place the 20 yard pin on the horizon line of the deer's side just behind the near side front leg hoping to exit the the far side leg. Finger on the release and squeeze. As expected, the lighted nock disappeared just above where I aimed, through the loin and through the off side leg.

Ive never heard this sound from a deer before but on impact, it woofed like a bear that gets hit with an arrow. It was a barking woof and and a mule kick and then it was off to the races and straight into the corn field. The doe ran straight down a row that allowed me to watch the entire departure. It lasted less than 10 seconds. The rear legs kept getting wider and wider apart and then the crash and all was quiet.

I sat in the ladder and enjoyed the sights and sounds and the sunrise. After 10 minutes I pulled out the camera and shot the video you just watched above. Then I shot this video as I killed time before climbing down.

I climbed down to inspect the arrow and even though I knew where the doe laid, I still tracked her. The corn made the blood show up pretty well.

The far side leg.

After testing out the new over-the-phone deer registration (which is sweet) It was time to skin and get on ice. Through the near side loin and out the far side leg.

I put up another stand in a location that I will use later in the season and then headed back to the apple tree for the afternoon hunt looking for another doe. They showed up but were skittish (probably doe to my taking a deer there in the morning.

A doe and two spotted fawns showed up. A few other loan does came in but did not present a shot opportunity.

Here is a video of some of the deer that showed up.

On Sunday morning I sat in a different location about 300 yards from the apple tree. The first deer to show up was a small spike. He got a pass. Then the doe with the spotted fawns came by. No shots were taken. Then it was time to butcher and fry it up with veggies from the garden. All in all it was a good opening weekend.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aint it just grand the damage them ST's do! I'm not going to be able to get after them with bow this year. Just didn't get my range time in after my fall and my shoulder is still pretty sore. I really hate archery hunting from a blind anyway. (Can't get into a tree stand with the knee). So the Muzzy will be getting her workout this year Congrats on the good table fare!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.