HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a new bow help me pick (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/400531-thinking-about-getting-new-bow-help-me-pick.html)

DIY_guy 07-31-2015 09:50 AM

Thinking about getting a new bow help me pick

Im looking to get a new (to me) compound bow. I normally hunt with a trad longbow but also own and hunt with a compound. Ive been bowhunting for almost 40 years but I have only bought 2 hunting compounds in the last 30 years. I’ve had the same bowtech since 2006 and before that the same PSE for 21 years. Im looking to buy a 2013 or 2014 model and since those model year bows have been out for a while and folks have hunted with them and put them through their paces, this community should be able to speak with first hand knowledge of how they performed (or are still performing).

When it comes to Trad gear, I like homemade and simple. For a hunting compound Im looking for performance (which I determine as speed and efficiency with a roughly 400 to 500 grain total projectile weight as I like heavy broadheads) but I also care about noise and hand shock upon release. The Classifieds here and elsewhere as well as the big online auction site are full of 1 and 2 year old bows so it wont be hard to find what I eventually settle upon.

Please, Make your recommendations.

super_hunt54 07-31-2015 10:51 AM

The BowTech Experience model is right up your alley DIY. I just switched to it as my main bow from an Older Admiral model. It's smooth as glass to draw, quiet as a bow can possibly be and pretty darn fast as well. I switched mainly because of several shoulder injuries in the past I am dropping my draw weight from 70+ to 60-65 pounds. I figured I will be able to keep close to my current speed even with the poundage drop with this bow. Will be getting close to or maybe a bit over 300fps at 60 pounds which is plenty. Since you already shoot a BowTech you already know they are high quality bows and silent as death itself.

DIY_guy 07-31-2015 11:00 AM

Thanks. I am closer to 100 years old than I am to 1 year old so Im looking for something in the 60 pound range for now. I will nver have a setup that gets close to 300 FPS as I like to shoot arrows that are very heavy (8 or 9 grains per pound of draw weight).

cjclemens 07-31-2015 12:23 PM

My recommendation is don't buy a bow based on someone's recommendation. Find a local dealer with a good reputation and shoot as many as you can get your hands on. Most good dealers wont have any problems setting one up for you and letting you fling a few arrows, so you can buy the one that feels right. It doesn't matter what brand - Hoyt, Bear, PSE, Mathews, Elite - you name it - they all have their own quirks, but they all make good bows.

DIY_guy 07-31-2015 01:08 PM

Most shops wont have 2 year old bows on hand. Im not looking to buy new.

super_hunt54 07-31-2015 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DIY_guy (Post 4209772)
Thanks. I am closer to 100 years old than I am to 1 year old so Im looking for something in the 60 pound range for now. I will nver have a setup that gets close to 300 FPS as I like to shoot arrows that are very heavy (8 or 9 grains per pound of draw weight).

Well the Carbon Express arrows I use out of mine are 8.8 per inch (30 inches total) and I use a 100 grain BH so that brings it to right around 370 grains total once you add in the fletch and inserts. I haven't put it through the chrony yet but it shoots right in the 300 fps range I think. May just put it through a chrony this evening just to see. Ribs are healed up enough to draw a few arrows I think. So even with say a 450 grain total weight you SHOULD be getting around 285 to 290 which as you well know is more than enough to get a good pass through on a mangy little old deer out to 40 yards :biggrin: Especially using those logs of yours.

Speaking of those logs, have you been able to find any good cedar stock lately? I just hung the last of my stock for final turn straightening and am having a little difficulty finding some good cedar for turning. The crap around here is all grained up and would shatter hitting a foam target!

DIY_guy 07-31-2015 02:13 PM

Thanks but I said 8 or 9 grains of projectile weight per pound of draw weight not 8 or 9 grains per inch. 60 lbs of draw x 9 grains per pound of draw is 540 grains of total projectile. That weight and only 60 lbs of draw will never be close to 300 FPS (and Im ok with that) I care more about KE and MO and quiet flight than the simple raw speed number that is the current fad. I want a very efficient bow that produces the greatest amount of energy out for the draw weight im pulling.

super_hunt54 07-31-2015 02:52 PM

I'll push a couple of my tree limbs through the chrony with it after while (let it cool off a little first, my fat rear no likey heat) They weigh around 600 total. Let you know what the speeds are. While I'm doing that, see if you know where I can find about 40 blanks to make some new trad. arrows ifn ya would please. Like I said, I have the last few I had hanging for final straightening and turning.

cjclemens 07-31-2015 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by DIY_guy (Post 4209808)
Most shops wont have 2 year old bows on hand. Im not looking to buy new.

You'd be surprised. The archery shops near me took trade-ins as sold used bows on consignment.

DirtyGator 07-31-2015 07:32 PM

Lots of new used bows and real old ones at My local pro shop also. Seen a bear white tail 2 and I believe a PSE Mohave? Matter of fact will be going in soon to see what I can pick up on the cheap.