HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What to do if shot deer goes on posted land? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/40009-what-do-if-shot-deer-goes-posted-land.html)

PAhunterJEN 10-14-2003 07:50 PM

What to do if shot deer goes on posted land?

Last year my brother lost his buck because it left the 100 acres we were hunting on and went across the road onto someone elses property. We waited an hour then decided to try to track it. We had no idea who owned the land because there were no houses on it and it was situated between two houses which only had an acre each. We follow the trail into the woods to find another hunter sitting there. He says " Go back out the way you came!" So my brother tells him he' s tracking the buck and the guy says " Too bad" . This guy lives on a neighborning piece of property and wouldn' t answer any questions about who owned the property. My brother was pretty bummed out over that. So, how do all go about getting permission to hunt or track on posted property when you down' t know the owners?

bobcat 10 10-14-2003 08:02 PM

RE: What to do if shot deer goes on posted land?

go get your local game warden he will get it with out any ploblems.

go deep hunt hard.;)

Matt / PA 10-14-2003 08:07 PM

In PA as I understand it, you need to contact the local WCO, he will get your deer for you.
I don' t think the ol' " Possession is 9/10ths of the Law" stuff works with respect to game animals.
Just call the PGC and tell them the situation and that someone will not allow you to pursue the animal.

JeramyK 10-14-2003 08:09 PM

In PA it is legal to track any wounded animal onto posted or private property. However if/when possible you should notify the landowner. If the landowner does not want to cooperation you' ll have to contact the game commission immediately.

TREEDOG 10-14-2003 08:16 PM

If you cannot contact the landowner, call the game warden and they will come get your deer for you.

Hiawatha 10-14-2003 08:49 PM

ya usually if we want to track a deer after legal hunting time we have to call the conservation officers at home to get permission. Usually peopl are pretty good here about that sort of thing but you get the odd person who has to be difficult. in this situation i would agree that calling the co' s to sort out the dispute would be a good idea. just wondering if u guys were tracking that deer after dark what was the hunter doing still hunting i would have blackmailed him a bit either u let me find my deer or i' m callin the co' s for hunting after legal time. not sure if this tactic is very mature but it would probably do the job.

PAhunterJEN 10-14-2003 08:49 PM

Well, that seems fair to me....
It was during legal hours (middle of the day).
To complicate the question - will the game warden finish tracking the deer if you' re not sure where it fell and the landowner doesn' t want you on their land?

6pt125lbs 10-14-2003 09:01 PM

Id bust him in his eye and made him tell mewhos land it was if i was in your bros. shoes[>:]

Buckshot 10-14-2003 09:16 PM

In PA it is legal to track any wounded animal onto posted or private property
Oh no its not, you dont have the right to tresspass to pursue your previously wounded animal, would be nice but its not legal.

wvvet 10-14-2003 09:27 PM

PA must be more relaxed than WV. In WV it is illegal to go onto posted (or fenced) land without permission...period. You can go to the game warder, but he would need permission as well. Besides if you treepass in WV, you are liable to get shot or thrown in jail. If they went to the trouble to post it, they obviously don' t want anyone on there.

It is always good to try to have a gentleman' s agreement with the adjacent land owners. Obtain this permission prior to hunting season. If you don' t know who the owner is, this information can easily be found at your county court house.

Never enter posted land without permission. Not everyone will take treepassing lightly.