HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Can you or Have you ever smelled a deer before seeing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/39682-can-you-have-you-ever-smelled-deer-before-seeing.html)

buck_hunter_89 10-11-2003 11:10 AM

RE: Can you or Have you ever smelled a deer before seeing?

yea this last season i was out on my 4-wheeler and smelt a musky smell so i asked my uncle he said that u can always smell that when they are in the rut

Oklahoma has some big whitetails in the southeat part of the state

davidmil 10-11-2003 02:12 PM

And what really gets my head swiveling and bobbing around is when the smell just about knocks you out and you CAN' T see anything. I' ve had a couple times on some humuck in a cedar swamp when I just about went beserk. And then when the wind stays the same but the smell fades and disappears... you know you' ve been had.[:' (]

Stalker22 10-11-2003 03:01 PM

What' s interesting to note is that they recognize their smell and our smell alerts them. lol So realy do we stink or do they stink. I guess it' s all in how you look at it. lol Yea, I' ve had a hunt or two where I could smell them before I saw them.

6pt125lbs 10-11-2003 03:16 PM

Yea if your blind i guess and its in the middle of the rut. jus kid' n

wimp 10-13-2003 06:28 AM

I have smelled a deer I was tracking, on several occasions.

Solax 10-13-2003 06:57 AM

So funny that I' m reading this post this morning. I went out scouting yesterday (can' t hunt on Sundays here so it' s scouting day). Well I went to check on one of my stands and on the way there I jumped one or more deer, when I walked to where they were I could smell them. Smelled just like the deer pee you buy at the store. Pretty cool[8D]

wilk 10-13-2003 07:16 AM

yea, ive smelled them while tracking also?

benhuntin 10-13-2003 07:25 AM

I have smelled bucks during the rut before I even saw them. Most people are just more tuned in to seeing things in the woods and not using all their senses especially smell.

JCNinOKC 10-13-2003 09:52 AM

Thanks guys for all the input, good to know that one is not losing it.:D It is good to get out there and free up your senses and be able to experience something like that.

Buckshot 10-13-2003 10:19 AM

You can really smell them when its damp, Ive used my nose several times to locate deer. Years ago, my brother and I were out bow hunting, on the way toward are stands I said to him that there is a deer real close and that I can smell it, no way he said, we took a few more steps and up jumps this deer, the look on his face was price less.