Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which shafts

Old 12-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Spike

Default Which shafts

I have another question,

I really want to upgrade my shafts, currently just running Easton Powerflights 340's, they're OK but I'd like something a bit better. At this stage I'll stick with my 2" Blaser vanes and Lumenoks to go along with it.

I'm really out of my depth with shafts and definitely need some help on the subject. I shoot a Bear Mauler 27" Draw and set on 64lb (thinking of cranking it to 70lb).

I looked at CE maxima red 250 spine's but that was just because of a couple of reviews. What do people think are the best value for money shafts for hunting with my setup. I realise there are variables but just generalise.

Looking to spend under $200 a dozen unfletched. Bear in mind, everything is more expensive in Australia so add probably $50 on to any you guys buy.

Cheers,

GSP
Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GSPhunter_01
I have another question,

I really want to upgrade my shafts, currently just running Easton Powerflights 340's, they're OK but I'd like something a bit better. At this stage I'll stick with my 2" Blaser vanes and Lumenoks to go along with it.

I'm really out of my depth with shafts and definitely need some help on the subject. I shoot a Bear Mauler 27" Draw and set on 64lb (thinking of cranking it to 70lb).

I looked at CE maxima red 250 spine's but that was just because of a couple of reviews. What do people think are the best value for money shafts for hunting with my setup. I realise there are variables but just generalise.

Looking to spend under $200 a dozen unfletched. Bear in mind, everything is more expensive in Australia so add probably $50 on to any you guys buy.

Cheers,

GSP
What problems are you having with your current shafts that you would like to fix?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
What problems are you having with your current shafts that you would like to fix?
My groupings have been good but I was hoping if I take another step forward I can tighten them even more. Really they work well I just wanted to try something new and better.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streaks
Old 12-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm currently near the same setup as you. I'm 27.5" DL and 72# DW. I shoot carbon express maxima hunter 250s in lost camo. They aren't cheap (I typically pay $13 an arrow for them)
Old 12-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use victory v-force arrows. I pay $5 an arrow cut and ready and have never had any sort of problem what so ever.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Carbon Express arrows are over priced and over-hyped, in my opinion. I've been shooting Gold Tip Nugent and Velocity shafts for the past year, and I've been really happy with them.

By my calculations, 340's are a bit on the stiff side for your setup. Depending on shaft length and broadhead weight, you might do better with 400's.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to go back to my original question.....what do these $10-$15 arrows do that my $5 arrows don't?