Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maximum range for deer? >

Maximum range for deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum range for deer?

Old 12-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most have been 20 or less. I'll go out to 35 - 40 but after that it's pushing it. Most of the time I can't get a clean shot at that range without hitting something where I hunt. Some stands I can only shoot to 25 or there is to much in the way.
At the range I can do 50 accurately but that is clear with out the adrenaline Rush
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why push the yardage and risk wounding a great animal when bow hunting was meant to be a "close up" sport?!!!
With 35 years of experience behind me I would agree with this. With a good broadhead a bow will kill cleanly about as far as the bow will shoot---probably in the 300 yard range. The limitations are essentially the shooter.

I have always gone by the notion that my maximum effective yardage is about half of the distance where I could shoot 4" groups--about half the radius of a deer's vitals. Shooting under controlled conditions on a practice range and on a good day that might be 60 yards. Therefore, considering that shooting at a deer with my knees knocking and the adrenaline flowing, and the fact that the deer could move while the arrow is in flight I have a self imposed limit of 30 yards. I'd say my average over the years has been about 20 yards, give or take a few. My longest shot ever was 37 yards.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
I have always gone by the notion that my maximum effective yardage is about half of the distance where I could shoot 4" groups--about half the radius of a deer's vitals. Shooting under controlled conditions on a practice range and on a good day that might be 60 yards. Therefore, considering that shooting at a deer with my knees knocking and the adrenaline flowing, and the fact that the deer could move while the arrow is in flight I have a self imposed limit of 30 yards. I'd say my average over the years has been about 20 yards, give or take a few. My longest shot ever was 37 yards.
That seems like a very sensible approach.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
That seems like a very sensible approach.
Thank you. I've also always kept one thing in mind. I don't HAVE to fill my tag just for bragging rights. I'm my own police officer in the woods. At home I have look in the mirror and admit whether I did right or wrong.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The long shots

Who has the eyes, without magnification, to spot the twigs that get in the way of arrows, after fifty yards.

And when 70 and more shots become common, the archery season will get shorter.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Spike

I think you will get different answers from different regions, depending on your set up for example I wouldn't trust shooting a mechanical Brodhead further then 80. It also comes down to what arrow are you shooting to if you shoot a IBO arrow and concentrate on speed your accuracy deminishes. So what it boils down to is with the correct set up you can kill out to where ever the arrow lands. But with that being said if you can't hold a group at 40 why try 70. The object is to harvest the deer ethically.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting topic. I think a lot of people have a tendency to judge the abilities of others by measuring their own, OR, by reflection on their own experience. Both can provide deceiving results.

Some people have extraordinary abilities. (For the record, I am not one of them, but I have at least average ability with archery gear....and do not take shots beyond about 35 yards on whitetails. )

If you ever participate in a 3d shoot out West, it will open your eyes as to what can be done with the right sights, the right ability, and practice. The targets go from about 25 yards out to 110.

About 1/3 of all record book Muleys are taken beyond 45 yards...
http://www.bowhunter.com/huntingtips...e_on_deer0410/

Last edited by vc1111; 01-02-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I like the old adage that goes something like:

"Archery is about seeing how far you can get from the target and still hit it. Bow hunting is about getting so close you can't miss."

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) people who don't get in close are cheating themselves out of the main thrill of bow hunting. When you can see eye lashes, when you can smell the animal...that's when the adrenaline starts to flow for me.

Regardless of how good you are, the chance of a wound or miss goes up with distance.

As for the "professionals", i.e. those who hunt for television shows...they are pressured to make a kill for the camera. If they don't, they loose viewers and sponsors. One of the main reasons I rarely watch them.

My longest kill was maybe 25 yds on a red fox several years ago. Closest was probably a whitetail at maybe 10 feet. My longest shot on a target was ranged at 165 yds...it was an elk target though, and it took me 5 arrows to hit it in the kill. That was with a longbow and wood arrows at the E.T.A.R. a few years ago, and I did have several witnesses. Not going to claim I could repeat it, but I did it once and had not practiced at anywhere near that distance.

Last year I won two novelty shoots at the same tournament...one was a deer at approximately 100 yds., the other a turkey at approximately 75 yds. More misses than hits, but I did hit both several times in a high wind. That was with a recurve bow at the Kentucky Tradfest. Won both targets. Hadn't been practicing long shots that time either.

I'm sure a skilled compound shooter with sights could out-shoot me on targets any day of the week. With a little practice, I'm sure I could shoot more accurately and further with a compound bow and sights.

I rather not go that route. Getting close...or at least trying...is a lot more fun and satisfying. Long shots are for rifles, at least for me.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm another one of those who feels that anytime you're shooting much beyond 40 yards, you're really hoping that the animal doesn't suddenly decide to take an unforeseen step forward just as the arrow starts on it's way. I have practiced out to 60 yards and one year when shooting extensively at that range, I didn't hesitate on a shot a deer at 40 yards that only went another 40 yards before tipping over. That same year, I felt extremely comfortable on a perfect 30 yard shot. Most of my shots fall in the 20-25 yard range. I always intend to go back to practicing long range so the 40 yard shots will at least feel like a high percentage shot - if all the other conditions are right. That hasn't happened the last few years and my longest practice shots are 45. I feel comfortable at 35 and under, but even if I could shoot 4" groups at 70 yards, I feel like it's taking a big risk for the animal to stay perfectly still while your arrow is travelling.