Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maximum range for deer? >

Maximum range for deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum range for deer?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Yep, and that shot Lee took was damn stupid, especially to show on TV! Yep, Tyler also missed at 55! Anyway, that certainly shows they were shooting further than they should have like many of us feel too many people do with a bow or gun. It seems one member here feels that he's quite the expert on 60 yard shots at deer when he says he actually hasn't shot one at more than 20 yards! Just because you can shoot tight groups on a target doesn't mean you can do it on a living animal that may move at any second whether it's these long shots with a bow or a gun. What is happening in this day and age with all this fancy bow and gun equipment IMHO is that it's taking the hunting right out of the sport when a person feels the need to shoot an animal in the next time zone!
Never once did I say I was an expert... I just stated its ethical and reasonable for people to take those shots.. Yes I've never shot a deer over 20 yards, am I able to yes. I don't set up for long shots but when you are hunting an ag based state where you may have only a fenceline of trees and 400 acres of wide open field sometimes you can't get them in close..
Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iayotehunter

But now I'm sure you'll say they're professionals.. What makes them professional? The fact they have sponsors is all the difference I see
actually I don't think they practice as much as the avg bow hunter.. The pro TV hunters I know and have hunted with don't have that kind of time...
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

No more then 40, to many things get in the way you do'nt see.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

My thinking on the matter is that if you're shooting groups of 3 or 4 inches at 60 yards on a nonliving target and your centered on the vitals and when you let the arrow fly that animal just happens to take a step, not as a reaction to anything but just because that's what animals can do, and that arrow happens to be the one in the group that you shoot back a little bit you probably won't miss the deer, but there's a very high probability that you'll gut shoot it, which I understand can happen, I've done it, but in my book that's almost worse than missing. I don't know exactly how large of a step a deer takes but I could see it really throwing a wrench into things. Also, using the argument of "I saw it on the outdoor channel," is a very bad one…
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the years I practiced out to 60 yards, I was quite accurate and confident at a completely relaxed and standing deer at 40 yards - shot one at that range and saw it fall 40 yards from the shot. My practicing doesn't always "go long" and now 40 yards is uncomfortable for me ... not because I can't make it, but I don't want it to be that "flyer" that seems to be in many groups and because deer will take a step when you think they're stopped. I've taken 5 deer this year on 5 arrows shot. All but 1 fell with-in 45 yards except the heart shot one which made 60 yards! Shots varied from 20 to 30 yards at relaxed deer standing still. Confidence in your shot is very important and I won't take a marginal shot.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Spike

I've made 40, 35, 30 yard kill shots on deerbut mostly 20 and under. Some stands are simply 35 -40 yard stands, the nearest tree to the deer trail is that far away.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

As far as you feel comfortable and have shot your bow out too. My last pin on my bow is set at 50. I pratice all the way out to 50 where I feel comfortable enough taking that shot. Furthest shot to date 46 yards on a black bear using muzzy mx3 100gr. most of my deer shots were under 25 and my 1 and only elk shot was 33.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Spike

It really depends on what your comfortable with. I'm not comfortable with taking a shot over 40yds so I wont but others can and will. As long as your bow has the necessary power at that range and you can accurately shoot that distance your fine. My father shot a deer at 110 yards and has taken other animals at high distances. If a deer is watching you, don't shoot as it'll jump the string when it see's the movement but a comfortable deer generally isn't going to freak.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Spike

Default long shots

Has anyone ever watched the hunting show called the Crush? On this show Lee shoots at big game out to 130 yards. On one show he killed a Sheep at 100 plus yards.im sure he's a expert long range shooter but thats pushing it a bit! I wounder how maney animals he cripples taking those typs of shots?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deercreekhunter
Has anyone ever watched the hunting show called the Crush? On this show Lee shoots at big game out to 130 yards. On one show he killed a Sheep at 100 plus yards.im sure he's a expert long range shooter but thats pushing it a bit! I wounder how maney animals he cripples taking those typs of shots?
I've never seen him shoot at extreme distances other than on that sheep and it was stupid. Anyone that shoots long distance with a bow greatly increases the odds that something will go wrong even more so than those shooting way out with a rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.