Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maximum range for deer? >

Maximum range for deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum range for deer?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am capable at 50 yards, but definitely prefer closer. Too much can happen by the time the arrow arrives on target.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Many people think 60 yards is ridiculous because of where they hunt, thick large timber I'd have a hard time shooting over 20 yards. But in Iowa with the majority of the land being wide open ag fields 60 yards is reasonable. I don't just fling arrows. I practice beyond 60 all year so I can make the shot if needed. It rarely is but I'd rather be prepared for it than not be. All the deer I have shot have been 20 yards of less.

Another reason I practice the long shots I do; say you gut shot a deer and he hobbled out to say 55 yards. Are you going to put an ethical shot on him and put him down ethically like he deserves? Many different things come into account to determine if a shot is ethical.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will not shoot a deer that is much over 25 yards, with under 20 yards being my desired distance. Foam targets are different than living game. Shooting at dots at 40 yards is fun. I have found too many gut shot deer on my property from neighbors that think it is cool to see how far they can shoot one.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

max for me because it's as far as I practice 50 yards..
Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Limited by the number of unseen....

twigs that can stop arrows.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
Many people think 60 yards is ridiculous because of where they hunt, thick large timber I'd have a hard time shooting over 20 yards. But in Iowa with the majority of the land being wide open ag fields 60 yards is reasonable. I don't just fling arrows. I practice beyond 60 all year so I can make the shot if needed. It rarely is but I'd rather be prepared for it than not be. All the deer I have shot have been 20 yards of less.

Another reason I practice the long shots I do; say you gut shot a deer and he hobbled out to say 55 yards. Are you going to put an ethical shot on him and put him down ethically like he deserves? Many different things come into account to determine if a shot is ethical.
Open area or not 60 yards is about 6 tenths of a second fly time. It takes less than 0.1 for a deer to react and begin to move. If that's "ethical" to you, then shoot away. You'll encounter problems more often than I shooting 30.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Open area or not 60 yards is about 6 tenths of a second fly time. It takes less than 0.1 for a deer to react and begin to move. If that's "ethical" to you, then shoot away. You'll encounter problems more often than I shooting 30.
Takes a deer .1 seconds to react better not shoot out to 30 then. In fact you have to take shots under 20 yards for you to beat the deer. It's knowing where to aim when you get past 20 yards
Old 11-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Expanding - since I have the day off and I happen to LOVE that this line of reasoning always comes up in the "distance archery debate"...

The biggest problem with this argument is that you're using the wrong reaction time.

It's well proven that the average reaction movement time is about 0.1sec, with humans typically falling slightly above that mark, animals often slightly below. HOWEVER, this 0.1sec reaction time is only relevant for tasks requiring non-ambulatory movement. I.e. clicking a button, raising their arm, slamming on the brakes, drawing a pistol...

Bodily movement reaction time, since it requires a complex motor neuron response, is typically in the 0.7-0.9sec range for humans, with 0.4-0.5 seconds to begin moving individual limbs to initiate movement, with animals falling in the 0.4-0.5 sec ballpark for bodily reaction/movement, and 0.2-3sec for limb movement. In other words, a deer can click a button in under 0.1sec, but they can't get their whole body moving for about 0.5 seconds. In plain terms, the deer can START moving before the arrow gets there, but their vitals don't move.

So that's how so many of us are able to kill deer at 40yrds or more.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
Takes a deer .1 seconds to react better not shoot out to 30 then. In fact you have to take shots under 20 yards for you to beat the deer. It's knowing where to aim when you get past 20 yards
And knowing WHERE they will move. You must be a fortune teller!

IA... How many bucks have you shot with a bow at 50 or more yards?

Last edited by fingerz42; 11-26-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Expanding - since I have the day off and I happen to LOVE that this line of reasoning always comes up in the "distance archery debate"...

The biggest problem with this argument is that you're using the wrong reaction time.

It's well proven that the average reaction movement time is about 0.1sec, with humans typically falling slightly above that mark, animals often slightly below. HOWEVER, this 0.1sec reaction time is only relevant for tasks requiring non-ambulatory movement. I.e. clicking a button, raising their arm, slamming on the brakes, drawing a pistol...

Bodily movement reaction time, since it requires a complex motor neuron response, is typically in the 0.7-0.9sec range for humans, with 0.4-0.5 seconds to begin moving individual limbs to initiate movement, with animals falling in the 0.4-0.5 sec ballpark for bodily reaction/movement, and 0.2-3sec for limb movement. In other words, a deer can click a button in under 0.1sec, but they can't get their whole body moving for about 0.5 seconds. In plain terms, the deer can START moving before the arrow gets there, but their vitals don't move.

So that's how so many of us are able to kill deer at 40yrds or more.
Even using your argument, if a deer STARTS moving it's limbs upward in after .2-.3 seconds, that allows .2-.3sec for the body to fall(load it's legs and rebound) if shooting 50-60 yards.

So using the equation 1/2at^2:

at 20 yards the deer cannot react (.2 flight time, w/ .2 reaction or .3 reaction)
at 30 yards the deer cannot react (.3 flight time, and .3 reaction time) or 1.92" body drop (w/ .2 reaction time)
at 40 yards 1.92" body drop (.4 flight time, .3 reaction time) or 7.68" body drop (.4 flight, .2 reaction)
at 50 yards 7.68" drop (.5 flight time, .3 reaction) or 17.28" body drop(.5 flight, .2 reaction)
at 60 yards 17.28" body drop (.6 flight time, .3 reaction) or 30.72" body drop(.6 flight, .2 reaction)

Now obviously a deer will not drop 30", as it will just load it's weight to bound away but anything over 30 yards becomes a guessing game and is dependent on guessing our shot placement and hoping the deer moves as we anticipate.

Please tell me more about how this isn't enough time for the deer to move prior to the shot...

Last edited by fingerz42; 11-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.