Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Stands

Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at Couglar Claw! My dad has them and he is 6'2" 285 and says it is the sturdiest climber he has ever used.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an API Bowhunter from years ago. The shrink plastic that covers the chain degrades easily and the chain isn't rigid, so catches bumps on trees and can be dangerous. By comparison, I LOVE the Summit's 1) carrying strap that meets at the top instead of separate that can slide off the shoulder, 2) blades that can contact the tree in more places for better stability where API may have problems, and most importantly, 3) rigid cable which is lighter and more durable than the API chain's plastic covering, but also 4) lighter weight of the Summit v. the API. But when I look at the Summit Open, I don't see the handles on the seat portion to stiff arm while climbing the tree. Can someone who knows please tell me how hard it is to climb with the Summit Open, and also would it be better just to get the Viper with the footrest? I do bowhunt and have heard mixed reviews on the Viper's front bar being an obstacle for bowshots.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the lightest I ever had was a Loggy Bayou followed closely by a Northstar and Timbertall Legend.

The easiest, safest and most comfortable was a Summit Viper. It's rated for up to 250#, but why push to the limit. For a bigger guy I would naturally recommend the Summit Goliath. A little heavier, but very stable and just as comfortable. I believe it's rated to 300#.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have used a summit for 15 years, my only complaint is the shoulder harness when packing it to and from the hunting location. The stand seems to slide sideways on long hikes which is not fun in the dark and trying to be quiet. My father who is in his 70's uses one and has no issues, I would not have recommended it to him if I was not pleased with the performance.

My biggest issue was getting him to use a safety harness. Prior to retirement he was a general contractor. He has no fear of heights and still runs across steep roofs and such with reckless abandon. At least he Has acquiesced to using the harness.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Check out Lone Wolf, I love my hand climber!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Lone Wolf for me too. I have the wide Sitnclimb with flip top seat.......lovin it!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Spike

summit viper for me. I also just got a summit mini viper sd. Love the weight, its a little small but still supports 250#. easy to carry, lightweight, just not as roomy as the viper classic.