Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Respecting fellow hunters and the younger generation >

Respecting fellow hunters and the younger generation

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Respecting fellow hunters and the younger generation

Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by badshotbob
I understand and agree with your points, however look at it like this. You pull into a self serve rustic campground with three camp sites, two being on a lake and the other tucked away in the woods across the drive. The two sites on the lake are already occupied by other campers. Along comes a new camper and sets up smack dab between the two occupied camp sites crowding everyone's set up.

Would you set up your tent between these sites or take the unoccupied site?

That's what I'm referring to when I say common courtesy.

The land and deer traffic was fully explained to this guy yet he chose to set his stand nearly in a known bedding area, and up wind to boot.

Now we have people using our stands without permission, not sure if it's the other hunter or outsiders. Time to find a new spot I guess.
So two issues:

1) "nearly in a known bedding area, and up wind". So, how "near" is "near". Is it to close? According to who? I've read all kinds of "professional" advice saying sneak as close as you can, to stay the hell away". The wind, well that could be an issue, but maybe he doesn't know.

2) using your stands without permission. This one is worse.

Have you talked to this new person, specifically about these? the bedding area could simply be a difference of opinion, then what?

The using your stands, that is beyond common decency, especially if he's bringing friends.

So, what you haven't answers, is, has a simple conversation been had to try and work this out?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
So two issues:

1) "nearly in a known bedding area, and up wind". So, how "near" is "near". Is it to close? According to who? I've read all kinds of "professional" advice saying sneak as close as you can, to stay the hell away". The wind, well that could be an issue, but maybe he doesn't know.
That's a fair question. I can certainly see how his opinion may be entirely different than mine when it comes to stand locations and bedding areas. I would just assume that a "trophy only" hunter, as he claims to be, would not want to be directly up wind of a bedding area. Just my opinion of course.

2) using your stands without permission. This one is worse.

Have you talked to this new person, specifically about these? the bedding area could simply be a difference of opinion, then what?

The using your stands, that is beyond common decency, especially if he's bringing friends.

So, what you haven't answers, is, has a simple conversation been had to try and work this out?
Yes, a talk was attempted which only ended with offense taken. Bottom line is I simply can't tell this guy where he can or cannot hunt or even kick him out, not my place to do that. I can tolerate, to a point, set ups that I don't agree with however when a guy moves in and hunts out of a stand he does not have permission to hunt, that's just not cool.

Gun opens tomorrow. Hope he's not in my tree come 6:30am.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck, hope it works out! The only way to not have "people problems" is to buy up your own land and don't let anyone else play! Not realistic for just about everyone.

As soon as two people are involved you run the risk, even with a friend.