Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Respecting fellow hunters and the younger generation >

Respecting fellow hunters and the younger generation

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Respecting fellow hunters and the younger generation

Old 11-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My .02 cents. I have been in both situations. I am now 51. I see this as being how the kid was raised meaning his parents are to blame for not having instilled the common sense and courtesy into this kid.
First off. Have a heart to heart personal chat with the lad. Explaing how things were BEFORE he arrived. The agreement between the owner and the 2 other hunters. Now he has arrived. New mix. Same deal, another hunter.

Second option. If after first option he does come around and at least respect that you guys were there first and established areas due to first come first served, you take it up with the landowner and explain what ya'll have done to work with this kid and that he feels and acts like he owns the place and see what the owner says and does. Especially that being you and the 2nd hunter more or less work for the landowner.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Their is also a portion of the older generation that feels they are owed more then their really deserve. Not all but I have ran into but a good bit of older people that think it's their way or the highway. Their are some of those people on this forum.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think it has anything to do with age. As previously mentioned hunters have had run ins and disagreements with people of all ages. It comes down to the person and their own ability to be respectful and considerate. While you all have the same permission there has to be some respect between eachother and the areas you are hunting. It takes a lot of communication between all parties involved hunting the property. I have a property I deer hunt with others and we even share stands or allow others to hunt our stands when we are not going to be out. I also share a duck blind with a couple of guys and we have scheduled days that work best for everyone's schedule to have access to the blind. All parties involved need to work together no matter who had access first. Just need to sit down with the guy and get everyone on the same page.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rockport
Doesn't really make much sense does it?
Why not? It is apparent from the original post that the first hunters had a good relationship with the property owner. This new guy has no respect for their requests so he probably doesn't have any respect for the property either.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Why not? It is apparent from the original post that the first hunters had a good relationship with the property owner. This new guy has no respect for their requests so he probably doesn't have any respect for the property either.
Well its not just "not having respect" it would be not having any sense at all really.

The property owner tells the new guy he has to ask the first hunters if its ok to hunt and the new hunter tells the first hunters he has just as much right to hunt there as they do?

Either were not hearing the whole story or the new hunter is unimaginably stupid.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well its not just "not having respect" it would be not having any sense at all really.
I agree that it is about common sense, or common courtesy if you will.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
To many variable to say:

- You say he is "to close" to your areas. What if he doesn't think it's to close?

- why are they "your areas", he has a point he has just as much right to be there, there should be a way to work this out. Is he encroaching while you are there, or while you are not there?

He has permission, same as you. Yes there needs to be some conversations, but a third person has now joined you and your neighbors "agreement", one he didn't participate in. Time for a new agreement to be discussed.

As for age: I'm 50.
I understand and agree with your points, however look at it like this. You pull into a self serve rustic campground with three camp sites, two being on a lake and the other tucked away in the woods across the drive. The two sites on the lake are already occupied by other campers. Along comes a new camper and sets up smack dab between the two occupied camp sites crowding everyone's set up.

Would you set up your tent between these sites or take the unoccupied site?

That's what I'm referring to when I say common courtesy.

The land and deer traffic was fully explained to this guy yet he chose to set his stand nearly in a known bedding area, and up wind to boot.

Now we have people using our stands without permission, not sure if it's the other hunter or outsiders. Time to find a new spot I guess.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my question is under these circumstances why don't you just tell the guy to take a hike?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Its more an individual thing than an age thing. Yeah, this guy is apparently pretty inconsiderate, but I've seen that in people of all ages. In fact, some of the most stubborn, arrogant, entitled people I've met are older. Some seem to think they're owed something just because they've been around longer. So, again, its not an age thing. Sorry to hear the guy is making a pest of himself. It sounds like you'll have to find a diplomatic way to fix things so you all don't lose permission to hunt there. Never a fun situation.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I guess my question is under these circumstances why don't you just tell the guy to take a hike?
I had the similar thought. I don't know if it is the case or not but why allow the guy permission in the first place if it was left to him by the property owner. Or if they wanted to give him a chance to see how it worked out, they should also have the ability to tell him he no longer has permission to hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.