Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow Hunting Tips Please! >

Bow Hunting Tips Please!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Hunting Tips Please!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
WTF was that comment about?!
LOL. Just disregard that comment and try to follow all the other good advice that was posted! OT is the Best!!! LOL!!! Be safe and good luck!! It will come to you.

HJ
Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best advice I can give, is don't hunt right on top of your corn, be a good 20-30yrds away, preferrably in a wind favorable direction and on a trail from where they approach. NW wind is prodominant this time of year, so hang your stand to the SE side of your corn.

Also, go as high as you can. Another thing to look at is how much cover you have around you. If you're sitting in the open you need something to hide you better, even up in a tree. I usually take some cedar limbs and zip tie them to my stand as added cover.

One last trick for a bait pile that sounds ridiculous, but works well, is to put a mannequin or some type of dummy in your stand. I've used an old CPR training doll, since it is a full torso and just tie it to my seat, the deer get used to seeing a human shape in the tree and they don't even think twice about seeing you in there.

BUT none of this works if the wind is bad or the see you moving. So make sure the wind is in your favor and time your draw when the deer is looking away or their view is blocked by limbs, etc.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

they probably remember seeing you there to often and they bust you drawing. can you put any kind of foliage of any kind maybe where the deer would put it's head down to feed that might give you the second or two to draw. or can you use some kind of limbs or blind material up in your stand ? are you skylined? meaning nothing but sky behind you. depending on the area i would say if you can get the deers head behind something for a second or two that would be best option or somehow change your setup? good luck let us know.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Pick a tree with some cover to help camouflage you when you draw back. Also might consider moving your stand further away from the corn pile.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Spike

Patience is key. Two Saturdays ago I was in the National Forest, I had just walked in at a mile and a half,roughly, down an old dirt road. I stepped into the woods about 15 yards and straight ahead about 30 yards was a doe, she spotted me but I stood still like a statue for 10 minutes all the while slowly moving my bow up when she had her head down but she would look up whenever I started to move the bow up, finally she moved into a position that I could get a shot, I missed, the arrow hit right under her. The point is, be patient, take it slow if you can and don't be in a rush to draw back.