Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
LED nocks, worth it? >

LED nocks, worth it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

LED nocks, worth it?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
If they help you find 3 arrows at practice, then they pay for themselves. If you're practicing with broadheads, they pay themselves back on the second arrow found.

I don't buy the line that they "help you see your arrow in flight," because you shouldn't be trying to watch your arrow in flight anyway. Big no-no in my book, because it guarantees to me that you didn't follow through on the shot properly. BUT, if you don't pass through, it gives you a good reference for where you hit, and if you do pass through, you have a glowing beacon behind where it was standing when you made contact.

For deer hunting, they're a nicety. For coyote hunting, they saved me a ton of money. I lost about a dozen arrows in the first month or so after I started calling coyotes to the bow. Stuck the lumenocks in and started recovering about 8 or 9 out of 10, rather than about 4-5 out of 10.
I hear what you are saying about follow through(I assume you mean with a compound)Of course that is important.Myself..I am talking about seeing it with a crossbow but with either type it is pretty hard not to see that glowing red nock without messing up your follow through unless you have both eyes closed..lol...
Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gander123
I hear what you are saying about follow through(I assume you mean with a compound)Of course that is important.Myself..I am talking about seeing it with a crossbow but with either type it is pretty hard not to see that glowing red nock without messing up your follow through unless you have both eyes closed..lol...
Doesn't matter what you're shooting. Even with a crossbow or with a rifle, the follow through after the shot is critical. Your eye(s) should not come off of the target. Pretty hard to watch a bullet in flight, but for lighted nocks on a traditional bow, compound bow, or Xbow, you should be watching the target, not getting distracted by the arrow.

Originally Posted by rockport
I have $10 in my arrows so if I lose 5/10 that is $50. If I add lumenocks and lose 2 out 10 that is still $40.....lose 3 and I'm at $60
You must be talking field points, not broadheads, otherwise, we're not shooting shafts or broadheads with quality even in the same zip-code as eachother, so you're the person that they don't make financial sense for, and I am the person that they do.

I don't tend to lose arrows at practice or at the few 3D matches a year that I still pay around at. I lose them hunting - which means I have a broadhead mounted. In general, I'll have $10 or so in the shaft, and that much or more into the broadhead.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-17-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have LumeNok's by Burnt Coyote and they helped me find a deer last year that I may have not otherwise found! If you get a through and through there isn't really anything that will help you. But if you stick them you can find the light from the nock without much issue if you can follow the light after the shot!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Spike

A must have in my opinion when filming. I have self filmed various bow hunts, slo mo of the shot is a must have in the footage. Amazing to watch when using lighted nocks.

I have used Eastons(I like them because they flash on and off 10 seconds after lighting, but the magnets can be a pain to keep on your bow), Lumenocks(hate them), Allens(low priced junk), Nockturnals(very good but pricey), and Afterburners(my favorites). They all seem to last at least 1 season. That includes target shooting(2 to 3 sessions a week 25 arrows) and hunting. I have only ever lost 1(upon impact the nock tore loose from battery which was still in the arrow, sorry I don't remember which brand it was.

If on a budget, look for the Afterburners. I got them in packages of 3 for $16.99, so far they work as well as Nockturnals. They also got good reviews at Archerytalk.com(thanks CAMOCOP). Pink LED is the most visible, especially when using video.
Good Luck

Last edited by Habo; 03-02-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Typos corrected
Old 03-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

a friend and i shoot in a warehouse during the winter months. with his lit up nocks on his arrows we can see his grouping from 40 yards easily whereas my arrows seem to disappear when they hit the target.
necessary not at all but anything that ups the fun factor that much more to me is worth it.