Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Packs

Old 10-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Packs

I'm in the market for a new hunting pack. I hunt the family farm, so it doesn't need to be as large as a day pack. I was thinking something along the lines of a large fanny pack with suspension or one of those one-shouldered sling packs. It just needs to be big enough to hold snacks, a drink, and your usual hunting accessories (deer tags, knife, spare release, cover scent, etc). Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like yourself, in my state, most of the areas I hunt are less than 2mi from a road, so I don't feel the need to carry a bivy or a kitchen sink for these short range day hunts.

I used a 5.11 Push pack for a couple seasons. Rides nice, holds a lot more than you'd expect, and has the right mix of pockets/compartments to be practical. The zippers are kind of loud, and I lined a the Velcro component (one pocket under the flap on the exterior of the main compartment) with duct tape to eliminate noise. The side pouches are the perfect size for bottled water, and the zipper pulls hook over the bottle lid to keep closed.

I got the first one as a gift, wasn't really expecting to use it for anything until I gave it a chance. My wife and I have bought 3 more of these packs since then for varied purposes from a DSLR field holster to a baby diaper bag to a hunting kit.

These are what I've been using the last few years. "Fighting Load Carriers" from the local surplus shop, with various components. The tan pack is usually pretty loaded up, as that's my coyote hunting kit, so it has a decoy and an E-caller on board all the time. The green one flexes for all of my other hunting, you can see the right breast is empty for string clearance as it's set up here as I had it rigged for bow hunting as pictured. Everything has it's own place/pocket, well secured, and readily accessible during the hunt. Plus, I have less money into each of these rigs than other packs like the 5.11 would cost. I'm not a huge fan of military surplus gear since it's often attributed to a certain "type," but you can't argue with the functionality of PALS/MOLLE II.

One thing I'd encourage you to keep in your day pack, even though the name of the game is low volume and lightweight, is a 1st aid kit. While you might not be too far off of the beaten path and in good cell phone reception, the time it takes for 1st responders to reach a disabled hunter's location, let alone find them in the woods and transport back to the "bus" is a lot longer than you'd like it to be. Where I usually hunt is only 2miles from any given road, the nearest ambulance barn is 30miles away, and the nearest proper hospital over 45min. It's wise to have SOME supplies to keep you alive long enough for someone to find you. Definitely worth carrying the weight.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got the Tenzing 1140 this year and couldn't be happier.

The mora clips on so I don't dull my hunting knife for other tasks

Hunting knife tags and zip ties fit right in outer pouch so I'm not reaching in the pack all bloody(they slide right in I just had them sticking out for demonstration.

all kinds of compartments behind the 2nd zipper usually I have paracord, d loops and bowholders in the bottom zipper but used them last weekend.

Ample room in the main compartment

Water bottle(can also take a bladder)

Also has a range finder pouch on the front belt and a bow holder....both are removable as well.

I just hunted 3 days straight in the rain and everything stayed dry. I often forget I even have it on.

Last edited by rockport; 10-10-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't really even thought about a vest-type load carrier. My first thought was a surplus ALICE pack, but nobody around here seems to have the small ones in good condition. On the other hand, I did take a close look at a few packs from 5.11. They do seem well built.

I didn't mention it in the first post, but a first aid kit is one of the things I'd definitely like to start carrying. Its amazing how a tiny little kit can save a life, when the unexpected happens.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

So I have used this for a few years now it its great. It's got plenty of room for my gadets and calls. Also room for water and snacks. Best part is you can expand the waist belt and attach it around the tree and have easy access to everything. Plus not something that is hanging and swaying the the tree.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

im a bit of a gear and pack hound....always in search of the next best thing, i must have 10 hunting packs downstairs lol. I think for what you need id look at the sling packs, maxpedition makes some really nice stuff (i prob have 4 of their packs). Look at the gearslinger or the monsoon, you can find nice used ones on ebay for 50 to 75% off retail and they last forever.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

This is my pack, The FieldLine Pro Series Large Accesory Pouch. I love this thing! Been usin it for a few years now and couldnt be happier! I can fit my Knight & Hale PACK RACK, Primos Estrus can, 16 ounce water flask, snacks, Field dressin gloves, plastic bags, paper towels, flashlight, & I keep 1 grunt tube in the bag & another around my neck. This pack slings over my shoulder, and is easy to manuver with in thick brush.

I highly reccomend this setup.
Attached Thumbnails Hunting Packs-dscn1702.jpg   Hunting Packs-dscn1704.jpg   Hunting Packs-dscn1705.jpg   Hunting Packs-dscn1703.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Ive also got this small FieldLine pouch I wear on my belt to keep extra shells in. Works pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Hunting Packs-dscn1706.jpg   Hunting Packs-dscn1707.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I just have a plain old fieldline back pack from Walmart, carries all I need and cost $10 online...lol and have had it for 5 years with no issues..
Attached Thumbnails Hunting Packs-0002096858951_500x500.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
I just have a plain old fieldline back pack from Walmart, carries all I need and cost $10 online...lol and have had it for 5 years with no issues..
Ive used those packs as well and for the money Ive been very satisfied.

Here is a little thing to look at if your interested. Midway USA is the site I usually use.

They have real good sales and email me their sales. That Tenzing 1140 pack is regular price $120. They had them for half off. Now $60 to me is still quite a lot for a pack so what I did(and I do this all the time) I bought 2 of them for $120...When they arrived I put 1 on ebay and it went for $100. At the end of the day I have $20 in the pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.