Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Maryland sika hunt in progress >

Maryland sika hunt in progress

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maryland sika hunt in progress

Old 10-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Maryland sika hunt in progress

I'm down here until Sunday hunting sika on blackwater nwr and am not getting into anything. I'm on area u right now "greenbrier swamp" found some persimmon trees here last night with tracks going everywhere I'm having trouble telling if these are sika tracks or young whitetails. Can anybody help me out as to which area to go on in blackwater? I've seen a lot driving around but none hunting. Any local sika slayers here!?!? I'm camped on taylors island.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Sitting by the persimmons again, a red fox came in and was eating them last night
Blackwaters also loaded with turkey's
Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you try to call for them? Are you hearing any calling from the deer?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Was thinking about trying this for a few days next year. Hope you get into some deer!
-Jake
Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

i was planning on hunting until saturday but after friday mornings hunt the rain set in. i had my girlfriend with me so it was also kind of her vacation for the week and i wanted to keep it all relaxing. we scouted/hunted most of blackwater nwr. we hunted from daybreak to noon each day and then from 3 to dark. if i remember correctly there were eight hunters in our camp at taylors island and only one guy got sika, but he managed to bag a yearling hind and a nice 6 point stag two days later. i believe that group was on state land and not blackwater nwr like me. they were marching 30mins to an hour through knee deep water to hang their stands.
I saw one other sika stag harvested while there. i pulled into area R which is not marsh but woodland and a fella had a spike in the back of his truck (they do travel through the woods but find safety in the marsh) but its wasn't a yearling.
the young from this spring have about 2 inch spikes this one had about 7 inch spikes. the full grown ones aren't quite as small as i had thought before i saw them. the stags especially are pretty nice size.
success rate is pretty low on public because its pounded hard by hunters, and when i say hard i mean harder than i've ever seen anywhere. that marsh is like a spa for hunters lol
perfect example: i was driving down the road before daybreak parallel to a large parcel of private ground on my way to one of blackwater refuges "hunt areas" it was swampy forest with boot deep water through it and all along this posted land the sika were standing along the road in groups of two or three every hundred yards. they have signs that mark the corners of the hunt areas and as soon as it turned public ground there was nothing anywhere. they know they're less likely to be shot at on private. plus only so much land on the refuge is open to hunting and there are massive marshes where they know they will never see a human. blackwaters slim pickings and i probably didnt go far enough in the swamps but the local hunters just told me its a big game of chance and i was doing alright picking locations.

oldtimr, i heard them everywhere! it was amazing waking up to bugles in the morning and really just seeing them along the roads on the way to hunt is pure gold and i'm going back for the rest of my life i think
i only saw a few hinds while i was hunting but they are spooky and i had my whitetail eyes on haha was just walking down a trail and looked to my left and there one was at five yards behind some grasses she stood about waist high on me well she hopped off through the marsh like a giant cottontail kersploosh she sank her whole body into waist deep water and continued hopping off through the marsh then. but the whole time she was making like a cow elk sound like "meuh" or "muh"
a guy had a regular cow elk call with him and he showed it to me but it didnt sound anything like what i heard. perhaps their alarmed kind of vocalization is different than what he was trying to replicate. im sure i havent heard all their sounds. but yeah just bugles everywhere but im not a very good caller, id probably scare one off if i was trying to sound like it. its very distinct and honestly i dont think any of the "bugle" calls i saw blown on by hunters while i was down there did it any justice. if i could find a call that really sounded good though (like a sika call not a re-purposed predator call or something lol)

Bocajnala, it took me 2-3 days to get my bearings. so if you wanted to hunt blackwater areas E and A were pretty well all marsh and i saw the least hunting pressure in these areas because of a lack of man made trails. in both areas one could get far back in the marsh away from people and hopefully close to the sika. these are the areas im going to hunt when i get some waders and a climbing stand. i didnt have either and i was just soaking wet up to my knees until i got back to camp. if youre doing public and really want a chance at a diy sika i would devote a week if possible.
ive never been hunting them before so i dont know much but hopefully the little bit i did learn can be helpful.
im gonna give it a week every year forever i think i really loved the hunt. odds being low just makes it more of a trophy
that being said you can just walk in and hang a stand pretty well over any trails and have just as much of a chance as any other guy on any day. i heard a lot of people refer to hunting them as "the lottery" haha that had me laughing but it does kind of describe the hunting there.
but we paid 70$ for a week of tent camping at taylors island family campground. if not a week its 16 a night. they also rent campers for 50$ a night so a much better deal than a
hotel either way. gas is under 3.00 some places down there now which helped out some.
but yeah man i say go for it. if i had the gas money id be going back down this weekend haha id kind of like to live down there for a whole deer season. i drove 300 miles down from garrett county. but it was worth it. even though i was unsuccessful i kept reassuring myself that i was already lucky for having the opportunity to chase them around. state lands probably alot less pressure because you generally need a boat.

It's an amazingly affordable trip (I'm 23) that i would recommend to anyone.
average wind speed is 15 mph so walls would have been nice..... couldnt sleep too well through the wind.
dorchester countys population is low and prices are good on everything.
plus theres a popeyes chicken in cambridge we dont have those in the mountains of maryland and i stop every time i see one.
cambridge is a small "city" on rt50 pretty much just fast foods and walmart.... mostly just residential off of 50.
but we caught a bushel of crabs id never caught any before and it was great
actually i've lived in maryland all my life (born in cumberland) and have never crossed the bay bridge until last week. i liked it but it was a tough hunt, i was happy to see the mountains again. one thing u aint gotta look over your shoulder for bears hahahaha one
i went hunting today here at home and a blackie stomped at us from the thick brush. couldnt see her but i know my wood noises. move along i guess she was saying.
if you went down from pa youll feel kind of outta place hunting there. me and you probably have about the same terrain on our home stomping grounds. i know we got the same bears haha
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you enjoyed your week. So with waders and a climbong stand you think you could get into better hunting?
-Jake
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt Sika every year since 99. Greenbriar is not a real hot spot for sika, but I have killed some decent whitetails there. I did kill a 2X2 there in 2000. First sika I ever saw while hunting.

Section A, M1, M2, are all good sika spots, and I have yet to see a whitetail in those in the last 10 years. There are two ways to hunt sika, one is to sit smack dab in the middle of the swamp. Very productive but hard as hell to find the deer after the shot. The other way is to hunt the hardwoods on the edges, and wait till they pop out. Not as productive.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Spike

My sister lives down there. One of these years I"m going to go on a sitka hunt.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Sounds like you enjoyed your week. So with waders and a climbong stand you think you could get into better hunting?
-Jake
For sure, I saw the most wetland in areas a and e
A guy told me it's hard to find a live tree to put ur stand in
So pick a live on and wait it out.
Didn't see and hunters on A, it's just a raised dirt trail through nothing but marsh
Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BCRules
I hunt Sika every year since 99. Greenbriar is not a real hot spot for sika, but I have killed some decent whitetails there. I did kill a 2X2 there in 2000. First sika I ever saw while hunting.

Section A, M1, M2, are all good sika spots, and I have yet to see a whitetail in those in the last 10 years. There are two ways to hunt sika, one is to sit smack dab in the middle of the swamp. Very productive but hard as hell to find the deer after the shot. The other way is to hunt the hardwoods on the edges, and wait till they pop out. Not as productive.
The whitetails down there are mostly bruisers I didn't see any yearling bucks while I was down there. In the morning we'd see groups of two or three bucks all 8s and 10s but that was on the farms ya know.

If I can get it together I'd like to go back down and give it another go, still plenty if time in the season. I'd probably limit it to areas m, e, and
a. Just gotta get me a climber or a hang on and some waders. I only saw one spike that was killed out of an area that wasn't marsh. But I'll definitely be back, it's a whole nother world down there man. I've never experienced anything like it. I still prefer west MD for living but I love our states diversity in habitat. I don't think any other state compares on that level. Now if they would only stop letting non residents get bear tags.. Us people who have land up here in bear country deserve to have
at least 90% of tags. At least md residents deserve 90 %

I'm gonna put everything I learned into use next go and I don't think they'll stand a chance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.