Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
scent control clothing? >

scent control clothing?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent control clothing?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:04 AM
Spike

Default scent control clothing?

First time bow hunter here, is scent control clothing critical for bow hunting? I seem to read a few mixed revuews. Many people that I know tell me it's over rated, that it doesn't work and it's a waste, of money, then there are those that live by it.

I see under armour makes scent control base layer type shirt and bottom that you can wear under your clothes, but its 65 bucks a pop. I think I'd really want to make sure somthing worked before dropping alost $150 on a thin shirt and pant.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, but a lot of times it is quality clothing.

In short don't buy it because its scent control but don't rule it out because it is scent control either.

I have a scent blocker base layer that has been real nice and has lasted 4-5 times longer than similar cheaper stuff and is still holding together really well (no unraveling threads hanging out etc)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

More important then what you wear is hunting the right wind ALWAYS..even if you have a great can't miss stand never hunt it if the wind is wrong... I have been deer hunting 40+ years and have never owned a single scent lock or the like piece of clothing..
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
No, but a lot of times it is quality clothing.

In short don't buy it because its scent control but don't rule it out because it is scent control either.

I have a scent blocker base layer that has been real nice and has lasted 4-5 times longer than similar cheaper stuff and is still holding together really well (no unraveling threads hanging out etc)
Thanks. I took a look at the scent block base layer and it's actually a bit cheaper than the under armour stuff at $30 bucks a piece vs 65 for the UA.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ojibwa
More important then what you wear is hunting the right wind ALWAYS..even if you have a great can't miss stand never hunt it if the wind is wrong... I have been deer hunting 40+ years and have never owned a single scent lock or the like piece of clothing..
always hunt the wind!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

most people who "try" scent control really don't know what they're doing. The clothes work if you do your part.

I only play the wind when I can, but don't make a big deal about it. I never get busted and have had many deer next to me down wind.

Think about every detail and you can beat a deer's nose.

Here's a tip about hunting clothes, the tighter the weave the better. Look at the liners, they are a very tight weave. Second, I have rough hands and there isn't a piece of hunting clothes I don't run a hand across before buying. 99% of the clothes out there make a racket when I touch them. I buy the one's that don't and absolutely no velcro anywhere, anywhere. UA used to have velcro, a lot.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Never get busted. Ha! That's rich.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent control stuff is propaganda. Hunt with the wind at your face or at a crosswind. Never hunt with the wind blowing in the direction you anticipate the majority of deer to come from.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Spike

Deer were scarce in the 70s and people shot them in jeans, smoking cigars and drinkin whiskey.

Companies claim you have to use their products to succeed because they want your money. And hunters that spend hundreds of dollars on that stuff get defensive about that choice and also swear that you need to buy it too.

Hunt the wind and save that money for ammo and practice.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Spike

Also, I figure most hunters in the eastern US spray their scentblocking clothing with permethrin. And permethrin definitely has an odor. And if hunters wear permethrin, then deer have been conditioned to associate the odor of permethrin with hunters. So how do these hunters tag out their deer limit every year? They know how to hunt the wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.