Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
This is what happens when you let them grow!!! >

This is what happens when you let them grow!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is what happens when you let them grow!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Only by some. And less than you think.
It doesn't matter how many I may think it is. I am sure it is circumstantial, however. I live in the region of weekend warriors from the DFW area and a LOT of those people are going to be shooting anything legal come opening day. The same has been reported by friends from other areas as well.

So regardless of how often I think it happens, it happens plenty often where I am and happens similarly in similar areas that enjoy the exodus from the big cities each year.

I choose to let young deer pass and hope someone else doesn't "Brown, its down" it.
And it is a hope. You can't protect them if they aren't on your property. You can only do what you can do.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Even with the heavy hunted areas, people who don't shoot everything they see and do let them walk are still out there looking for a trophy.

THERES A REASON THE BIG ONES GET BIG.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather be a trophy hunter than shoot 5 does. I'm old school and I eat the horns! Sorry if I opened up a can of worms...lol
Old 09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by golfpro261
Letting them grow is the game for quality deer management.

Continue with your brown it's down game and enjoy
what a bone head. I've taken bigger deer and did nothing to help them grow. I have raised animals though, last hog was prime weight.

Carry on farming deer, you'll get some good ones some day but not from that stock.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nodog
what a bone head. I've taken bigger deer and did nothing to help them grow. I have raised animals though, last hog was prime weight.

Carry on farming deer, you'll get some good ones some day but not from that stock.
How am I a bone head by passing on a deer to let him get bigger when he was a 2 1/2 with a 24 inch inside spread?

I never said he was a booner or a monster. I pointed out how letting him grow another year, and not shooting him to win the bow buck contest for 250 bucks, let him get wiser, moreass and taller tines.

Get eat your pork and play with your little stock of deer. I'm in prime whitetail country where a booner is shot in our valley each year and many bucks over 150 inches.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
It doesn't matter how many I may think it is. I am sure it is circumstantial, however. I live in the region of weekend warriors from the DFW area and a LOT of those people are going to be shooting anything legal come opening day. The same has been reported by friends from other areas as well.

So regardless of how often I think it happens, it happens plenty often where I am and happens similarly in similar areas that enjoy the exodus from the big cities each year.

And it is a hope. You can't protect them if they aren't on your property. You can only do what you can do.
Answer one question.

Are you part of the group that shoots because if you dont someone else will?

You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You get to decide.

Last edited by fingerz42; 09-23-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RidgeFACTOR
I'd rather be a trophy hunter than shoot 5 does. I'm old school and I eat the horns! Sorry if I opened up a can of worms...lol
If more people would take does the quality of the deer herd would increase while thinning at the same time. I'll shoot a doe before a basket 8 any day of the hunting season but I can't knock those that don't prescribe to this mentality.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by golfpro261
How am I a bone head by passing on a deer to let him get bigger when he was a 2 1/2 with a 24 inch inside spread?

I never said he was a booner or a monster. I pointed out how letting him grow another year, and not shooting him to win the bow buck contest for 250 bucks, let him get wiser, moreass and taller tines.

Get eat your pork and play with your little stock of deer. I'm in prime whitetail country where a booner is shot in our valley each year and many bucks over 150 inches.
You don't know me from nobody, but for some bone headed reason you think you do.

Maybe you didn't read it right----300" deer. Guy in Indiana raises them, look just like the Beaty buck. !50's are not all that and more. Last year I got a 250 pound doe, deer round here can reach 400 pounds. Last 2 bucks I took pushed 300, one an 18 and one a 9.

If it gives you a boost to tell people you don't know what a great hunter you are for passing on bucks have at it, no one cares.

There is no prime country anymore, way too many does have been shot, populations have dropped in several states to the tune of 3,000,000 less deer and due in part to bone heads who think qdm is killing off the breeders. Get a clue, it takes breeders to raise bucks and only people who want show animals remove the competition for food from the stock to grow that one special animal. Doesn't work if there isn't a re-supply stock to draw from.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
If more people would take does the quality of the deer herd would increase while thinning at the same time. I'll shoot a doe before a basket 8 any day of the hunting season but I can't knock those that don't prescribe to this mentality.
This idea has led to a drastic decrease in the deer herd which the state has allowed simply because the people who benefit are large political supporters.

In Ohio last year the harvest was down 70,000 deer. That's 7 million pounds of deer that didn't find there way into hunters hands. Even at half that 3,500,000 pounds of venison didn't find there way onto hunters tables. I'm all for shooting does when the herd can bounce back. States are well past being able to bounce back and I'm too old to go back to the good ole days when seeing a track was a big deal.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, good for you and supporting deer breeders who sell them for 20,000 to some rich folk who gets to hunt on a farm with 10 foot fences.

All I did was show how a nice looking deer was passed on and how he grew up. All wild all natural.

You keep throwing out these weights and inches thinking they are interchangeable, they are not.

My area of hunting is just fine and not hurting by having 3 million less deer... There are plenty of deer where we hunt and we plant food for them to survive.

Just go and leave the thread since you have twisted it so far fr what it is.

Originally Posted by nodog
You don't know me from nobody, but for some bone headed reason you think you do.

Maybe you didn't read it right----300" deer. Guy in Indiana raises them, look just like the Beaty buck. !50's are not all that and more. Last year I got a 250 pound doe, deer round here can reach 400 pounds. Last 2 bucks I took pushed 300, one an 18 and one a 9.

If it gives you a boost to tell people you don't know what a great hunter you are for passing on bucks have at it, no one cares.

There is no prime country anymore, way too many does have been shot, populations have dropped in several states to the tune of 3,000,000 less deer and due in part to bone heads who think qdm is killing off the breeders. Get a clue, it takes breeders to raise bucks and only people who want show animals remove the competition for food from the stock to grow that one special animal. Doesn't work if there isn't a re-supply stock to draw from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.