Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
This is what happens when you let them grow!!! >

This is what happens when you let them grow!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is what happens when you let them grow!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default This is what happens when you let them grow!!!

So I had this guy we call superwide within 15 yards twice last year and while it would have been the widest buck I've ever shot and would have looked good on the wall I had to let him grow.

He made it through the winter and is still running around my land, I think I might have to try to harvest him if I have the chance.

Last year in velvet and end of season.

This year in velvet

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. Most people's motto is "If I don't shoot him, someone else will" and that's a simplistic and morbid view of the situation. More often than we realize, others may pass as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a pretty good buck. Might be a good year to put him on the wall, looks like he didn't out many inches on over the last year. Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice deer, but I don't see why letting that buck grow is a big deal.

If raising deer is a thrill so be it, but there are 300" deer to be had if letting them grow is the game.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nodog
nice deer, but I don't see why letting that buck grow is a big deal.

If raising deer is a thrill so be it, but there are 300" deer to be had if letting them grow is the game.
Letting them grow is the game for quality deer management.

Continue with your brown it's down game and enjoy
Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

"If I don't shoot him, someone else will" and that's a simplistic and morbid view of the situation. More often than we realize, others may pass as well.
Unfortunately, the simplistic view is often reality. We experienced that with a LARGE 3 year old with a nice 10 point rack last year that we were hoping would reach 4 or 5 and be a monster. Neighbor shot it and was so excited to see a decent buck he shot it poorly and lost it. Found it after the coyotes got it.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Well my house is a firm believer of pass little bucks Son passed 3 little bucks and about 20 does last year to end up shooting his 150" 12 point. Sons 11 yrs old I'd say I'm doing something right there.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not saying it's wrong one way or the other.

If you want deer meat and have an over population of hunters verse deer, then there never will be a quality herd to manage and select from.

If you can as well as people around you use QDM, it only reaps benefits and not hurt you.

People around us use it, it works well. We typically have a few 150+ and usually at least one booner shot in our valley evey year. Also have a lot of nice ones on cam that we only get once or twice on cam and never hear about someone shooting it.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Spike

Good move in letting it go. I don't get to hunt near as much as I used to but I'd rather hang one on the wall every few years then shoot a basket rack every year.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Unfortunately, the simplistic view is often reality. We experienced that with a LARGE 3 year old with a nice 10 point rack last year that we were hoping would reach 4 or 5 and be a monster. Neighbor shot it and was so excited to see a decent buck he shot it poorly and lost it. Found it after the coyotes got it.
Only by some. And less than you think. Bottom line is you can join them or do your part to fight it. I choose to let young deer pass and hope someone else doesn't "Brown, its down" it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.