Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I need advice on broadheads >

I need advice on broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need advice on broadheads

Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default I need advice on broadheads

Howdy,

Ok, I havnt bought new broadheads in over 5 years, so im in desperate need of some new ones. Which are the best. What brand should I go with? Fixed blade or expanding? 2, 3, or 4, blade? whats the best. Im hunting whitetail if that makes a differance. thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

cant really go wrong with a fixed Muzzy, I wouldnt go more than 2blade on expandables...just too much can go wrong the more blades you get. I had good results with rage2 blades.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Muzzy MX-3 100gr is what I use. Love and havent had a single issue with them yet.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

I use KillZones and have had great success with them. Or as others mentioned it's hard to go wrong with a fixed blade muzzy.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

First thing first, if you've been happy with what you've been using so far, why switch? When it comes to new broadheads, there are a lot of good options out there to choose from. The best choice really depends on your setup and how you hunt. If you're using a newer bow with plenty of KE, you can use just about any broadhead you want, including those big mechanicals. If you're shooting an older bow or lower poundage, you'd be better off with a smaller mechanical or fixed head. If you hunt from a blind and plan to use the shoot-through mesh, a fixed head is the way to go. As you probably know, you need to have your bow well tuned. Other than that, it comes down to personal preference. When it comes to mechanicals, I really like Grim Reapers. They're well designed and pretty tough. Not to mention, they have a lot of options in terms of cutting diameter. For fixed broadheads, I've been using Magnus Stingers. They're tough, sharp and come with a no-questions-asked lifetime guarantee. I actually just got a pack of Dirtnap DRT's to test out, too.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I use 3 blade muzzy, dad uses NAP thunderheads.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell I havent been on here in about 5 years lol...well maybe not that long but seems like it...but I recommend 2 blade Rage. I have yet to have a deer go more than 15 yards on me while using Rage heads.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Slick Tricks 1 1/8 Magnum 100 grain

I tried too many heads just like a lot of guys. Liked Kill Zones, but gave them to my son. Have used Thunderheads, Muzzy's and Rages. I'm so old, I started with the Bear (with replaceable bleeder blades) heads. Now that I'm past all that messing around, I'm back to SLICK TRICKS. I get 3 or 4 deer most years and most die in sight. K.I.S.S.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

I don't like expandables & after 3 decades of buying replacement blades for fixed heads like Razorback, Thunderhead & Rocket, I decided to take a chance last year & truly adhere to the K.I.S.S. method. So I bought a pack of Allen Beartooths at Wallyworld $20 for pack of 3. They shot great out of my TenPoint xbow & I went hunting with them. I was rewarded with a 220#, 120class 8pt @ 12yds. I watched him fall 45yds from where I hit him. What more can you ask for?

So this season I bought 3 more packs of the Allen's, 2 for my crossbows & 1 for my youngest sons Diamond bow. I prefer a cut on contact tip vs a chisel or punch style tip so thats why I chose the Beartooths. Other than being $15-$20 a pack cheaper than equivalent Montecs, I don't feel I'd gain anything by going to a "big name" head. Good flight & a VERY dead trophy is all the proof I need.

http://allencompany.net/archery/broa...dhead-616.html
Attached Thumbnails I need advice on broadheads-image.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Switched from the mechanicals years ago and bought the 4 blade Muzzy 100gr. I liked the practice blades that come with the package, so I can shoot those all year and simply switch out to the hunting blades. I think I am one of the few people who like the smaller diameter heads. Tough to beat 6 broadheads for the price of most other manufacturers 3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.