HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I need advice on broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/394251-i-need-advice-broadheads.html)

BTM 09-16-2014 06:23 PM

I've been very pleased with Slick Tricks, but there are many other good brands to choose from.

My primary advice would be to buy a mainstream brand, not some trendy, unique, or untried brand that you won't be able to obtain spare blades for a year from now.

Bgkyarcher 09-19-2014 01:37 PM

I made the switch from rage 3 blade to swhackers and I'm impressed with them.

muzzlestuffer 09-19-2014 02:01 PM

well as you can see you will get a bunch of different thoughts and opinions and they all are correct for each individual as the ones i recommend as well you just have to try different options i started many years ago shooting punch cutters and they really worked like you wouldn't believe the blood trails were unreal now i use grim reapers and they shoot very well on my bow and leave a unbelievable blood trail and they have practice tips so you don't have to replace the good blades all the time try them if you get the chance and good hunting !!

rockport 09-19-2014 04:25 PM

I say keep it simple. Slick trick, muzzy , thunderhead etc.

I personally don't see any reason to add a mechanical element.

I personally use the nap nightmare which is now called thunderhead razor or edge. The edge blades are serrated and interchangeable with the old nightmares and new razor.

A simple muzzy has to be the best bang for the buck out there.

g5 montecs are good ones if you prefer sharpening rather than blade replacements.

ojibwa 09-21-2014 12:50 PM

shot muzzy for years really no issues... switched to swhackers last year and all I can say is I love that sound...4 shot deer and a total of 200yds tracking combined...

muzzlestuffer 09-21-2014 01:49 PM

well not all broad heads shoot the same especially when it's windy out which it was always where i'm originally from was i never could trust broad heads to fly right in the wind.

Rhody Hunter 09-21-2014 03:17 PM

I like the slick tricks. They fly great and are very durable. You will get slug holes with them

handles II 09-26-2014 06:17 AM

Slick Tricks are strong, sharp, and fly with field points. That fits what most hunters need. There are others that work equally well. I now avoid rages and other mechanicals after some bad experiences with them. I get maybe 1 good shot opportunity at a quality buck per year (my schedule allows me to only bowhunt 6-8 times per season. I'd rather not ruin that chance on something mechanized to work or perhaps not work. As others said, KISS and you will be happy.

Valentine 09-30-2014 04:23 AM

A lot of them work...

but don't work for some that don't like expandibles; or don't like fixed blades; or can't shoot arrows straight.

Use comes down to how cheap you are and if you notice how expensive three little broadheads really are. That's a cure for some in not finding the best of the best. I'm only worried about if the three I bought - work.

That electronic cash register can sure add up on broadheads.

handles II 09-30-2014 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Valentine (Post 4161481)
but don't work for some that don't like expandibles; or don't like fixed blades; or can't shoot arrows straight.

Use comes down to how cheap you are and if you notice how expensive three little broadheads really are. That's a cure for some in not finding the best of the best. I'm only worried about if the three I bought - work.

That electronic cash register can sure add up on broadheads.

Broadhead selection should be one of the LAST things that a hunter goes cheap on. Skip the scent-lock clothing, skip the $50 stabilizer, skip the $350 tree stand and you will find you have plenty of money for broadheads. In addition SlickTricks along with some others are TOUGH, and can easily be sharpened and re-used. You can also buy replacement blades at a fraction of the cost. Look around too. I found a surplus store about 20 miles from my house that sells slicktricks for $22 a pack.