Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First time Bowhunter here, getting excited >

First time Bowhunter here, getting excited

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time Bowhunter here, getting excited

Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default First time Bowhunter here, getting excited

Well I purchased my first bow early this year (Mission Ballistic), the season starts October 1st here, and with less than a month away now, im starting to get really excited.

I do have concerns. I know that a bowhunter should be 100% confident going out into the woods on a hunt, and im not going to lie, im not. I haven't been able to go out and practice nearly as much as I wanted to this year. In all honesty, im pretty inconsistent at 30 yards.

Having said that, I have my stand in a tiny field which Is only 30 yards from one side to the other, and I have been seeing deer there this whole year on a consistent basis every morning and almost every evening about 10-15 yards away from my stand. Im hoping I will have the opportunity to take that close of a shot when im out there, and I will not take a shot at anything that im not comfortable with shooting at.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick to what you said an you will be fine. Just enjoy, your shooting will get better with practice. Each day in the woods with a bow is a learning experience. Each year is waited on with practice, anticipation an dreams.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Practice, practice, practice. You'll get better. Until then just stick to a distance you shoot well at and enjoy the hunt. I've only shot a handful of deer over 30 yards anyways. Most have been much closer. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

i would get in my stand in the next week and get familiar with the yardages of your shooting lanes. once october is here strictly limit yourself to only shooting at the ranges you know you can hit every time.
it will ruin your first experience if you deal out a gut shot and go through the process of collecting your animal. part of hunting is being competent in making a quick, clean kill.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Spike

If you're confident at 30 yards then stick to it. I have only shot one deer that was over 30 yards away and he was just 35 yards. The majority of the deer I have shot have been in the 15-20 yard range. The closest deer was 3 yards from the base of my tree.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Stick to yardage you are comfortable with, practice as much as you can,

sitting in stand is a good idea to get use to your range. things change fast once in a tree and things go really fast once that first deer of the year walks out
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Spike

thanks everyone. Iv'e been practicing shooting out of my stand, and have used my friends range finder to mark certain distances with tape.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you feel inconsistent out to 30 then that's beyond your shooting range when afield. There is nothing wrong with that, it just means that if a deer comes to 30 yards you have to be strong enough to pass the shot.

Find your comfortable range and stick to it. Don't go beyond a distance you aren't confident in.

I feel like I can shoot out to 40 yards pretty consistently but my limit in a treestand on a live animal is 35. That's where my confidence is and I won't go further.