HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What to do (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/394166-what-do.html)

Newbowhunter1288 09-06-2014 11:32 AM

What to do

So I am a new bowhunter and I am in need of guidance. I have a bow, camo, mild tracking abilities, and scent block. I am looking for any advice from all the bowhunting veterans on tips or tricks, as well as some knowledge of public hunting land in the North metro area.

hatchet jack 09-06-2014 04:47 PM

Make sure you wear a Harness if you hunt from a Treestand. Good Luck this season and welcome to the site.

Hatchet Jack

GTOHunter 09-06-2014 07:04 PM

Practice a lot,know Your yardage and have lots of patients....make only good shots You know are going to be good clean kills.After shooting a Deer wait 30 minutes to an hour before tracking if You don't see the Deer go down?If You think You've made a bad hit and hit too far back or low gut shot wait even longer or back out quietly and search much later and get experienced help!

As mentioned wear a safety harness and enjoy the time out,some times Your Hunt can go quickly and other times it can take days before You have a Deer come even close enough for a shot!

bomber83 09-08-2014 08:58 AM

Binoculars are a good tool to use as well as a range finder.

Newbowhunter1288 09-10-2014 10:19 AM

Are there any good quick setup treestands to look into?

grinder67 09-10-2014 10:39 AM

Latter stands are OK. If you know anyone that hunts with a climber have them show the ropes on using one, they are very comfortable and mobile, and I feel safer in my summit than any other type tree stand I have ever used. Pop up blinds are quick, safe and mobile. Just all depends on what you want to do.

Armybowhunter28 09-12-2014 02:21 PM

Get out and scout, now is the time, early mornings and evenings find out where they are moving through to get to food and their bedding areas. Then you will be able to find a good spot for a stand.

2eagles 09-13-2014 03:38 AM

Your question is so big, you can't really get a good answer in a single book. The tips given so far are good. What you really need is to makes friends with someone willing to teach you the sport. Beyond that, the deer will teach you a lot. A simple minded deer in the woods will make you feel like a fool.

HatchieLuvr 09-13-2014 10:09 AM

Hunt the wind! If the winds not in your face,the deer won't be in your eyes!!! :s4:

sea_bee77 10-08-2014 10:02 AM

I would say one of the keys to success is playing the wind. As mentioned before always keep the wind in your face. If you find a good spot don't ruin it by over hunting it or hunting during the wrong wind. It's pretty easy to find where the deer are moving, just need to figure out if it evening movement or morning. You can usually tell this by the location of the food sources. Put all this together with some of the previous advice and that should get you on the right track. One last thing. You should be able to draw your bow back while sitting down. If you can not then it's set to high. Good luck