Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do

Old 09-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Spike

Default What to do

So I am a new bowhunter and I am in need of guidance. I have a bow, camo, mild tracking abilities, and scent block. I am looking for any advice from all the bowhunting veterans on tips or tricks, as well as some knowledge of public hunting land in the North metro area.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you wear a Harness if you hunt from a Treestand. Good Luck this season and welcome to the site.

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice a lot,know Your yardage and have lots of patients....make only good shots You know are going to be good clean kills.After shooting a Deer wait 30 minutes to an hour before tracking if You don't see the Deer go down?If You think You've made a bad hit and hit too far back or low gut shot wait even longer or back out quietly and search much later and get experienced help!

As mentioned wear a safety harness and enjoy the time out,some times Your Hunt can go quickly and other times it can take days before You have a Deer come even close enough for a shot!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Spike

Binoculars are a good tool to use as well as a range finder.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Spike

Are there any good quick setup treestands to look into?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Latter stands are OK. If you know anyone that hunts with a climber have them show the ropes on using one, they are very comfortable and mobile, and I feel safer in my summit than any other type tree stand I have ever used. Pop up blinds are quick, safe and mobile. Just all depends on what you want to do.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Get out and scout, now is the time, early mornings and evenings find out where they are moving through to get to food and their bedding areas. Then you will be able to find a good spot for a stand.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

Your question is so big, you can't really get a good answer in a single book. The tips given so far are good. What you really need is to makes friends with someone willing to teach you the sport. Beyond that, the deer will teach you a lot. A simple minded deer in the woods will make you feel like a fool.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Hunt the wind! If the winds not in your face,the deer won't be in your eyes!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Spike

I would say one of the keys to success is playing the wind. As mentioned before always keep the wind in your face. If you find a good spot don't ruin it by over hunting it or hunting during the wrong wind. It's pretty easy to find where the deer are moving, just need to figure out if it evening movement or morning. You can usually tell this by the location of the food sources. Put all this together with some of the previous advice and that should get you on the right track. One last thing. You should be able to draw your bow back while sitting down. If you can not then it's set to high. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.