HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunt in the Rain? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/39388-hunt-rain.html)

farm hunter 10-07-2003 10:07 PM

Hunt in the Rain?

OK - I' m betting this might be a common post - but I' m curious - do you change your hunting goals or methods when hunting in the rain? Maybe you don' t hunt in the rain at all?

I' m talking about " hunting in the rain" - not - " the forecast calls for rain" .

Personally, I will bow-hunt in the rain - if I can remain comfortable. I usually opt for mature hemlock woods in a rainly situation - and hunt from about 15 ft. I like the protection from the rain the hemlocks offer - and the visibility to watch a deer after a hit. I only will shoot at less than 20 yds (10 yds preferred), broadside or quartering away. I' ve passed several deer that I otherwise might have shot at - due to the rain.

Post your thoughts on Hunting in the rain..........

Kanga 10-07-2003 10:12 PM

RE: Hunt in the Rain?

It depends on how hard it is raining.
If just a light drizzle type rain I will stay out but a down pour I am like the deer I am bedded up back in camp.

PAHUNTER21 10-07-2003 10:17 PM

I' ve actually had pretty good luck with that port-a-roof umbrella. This thing has been a lifesaver in rain and snow. I' ve been able to stay dry and warm longer in cold weather. Doesn' t seem to bother the deer either.

Pros:
Keeps you much more dry than not having one up.
Lets you last alot longer than a rain suit will.

Cons:
It does make the umbrella-getting-hit-with-rain sound, but it' s not too bad.
You have to screw it in the tree. Many states frown upon this on public land.

Give it a try if you can.. I consider it money well spent.

DaveH 10-07-2003 11:30 PM

I bought a porta-roof umbrella for hunting in rainy conditions during the rut. I stay home during a downpour since the deer aren' t moving much then anyway, but I try to keep my options open during the rut. Other than the rut, I will only hunt in light rain since I hunt for fun and hunting in the rain isn' t fun for me.;)

davidmil 10-07-2003 11:31 PM

The blood trails suck and don' t last. The only reason I hunt in the rain is if I' ve traveled a few hundred miles for a couple of days of bowhunting and it decides to rain. I don' t mind water and I have clothes to keep from getting hypothermia.... but the blood trails still suck. I shorten all shots to slam dunkin or at least 20 and under. If it' s pouring I won' t hunt with a bow. Light rain or spit I don' t worry about as much. I cover my feathers, may put up an umbrella and sit back to watch nothing much happen.

PA Hardwoods 10-08-2003 05:42 AM

I don' t let the rain deter me. I also own and use a port-a-roof umbrella, what a great invention. The only time I leave the woods is if it is raining realy really hard and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. I shoot feathers so I always carry a platic baggie that I lay over my knocked arrow so the feathers stay dry and I have a homemade cover to put over my feather fletching on the arrows in my quiver to keep them dry. The only thing that stinks is the tracking aspect and not being able to hear a deer coming.

Tazman 10-08-2003 05:47 AM

I won' t hunt if it is pouring, but a light rain or misting I will, in these cases though I will not take anything but what I consider to be a slam dunk shot, I want that blood trail as short as possible. The best time to hunt is after it has poured for hours, the longer it has poured the quicker the deer will start moving.

WV Hunter 10-08-2003 06:24 AM

I will hunt in the rain unless it' s an all out downpour. In fact it rained most of the day last sat(our opener) and I was out. I will limit my shots to 20 and under....looking for the slam dunk as david said. I still would rather be out there, than not. I also have a port a roof umbrella, and give it an A+. It is nice. I don' t use it that often, but it really works well. I hunted all day last year during the rut, and it rained the whole day. I was totally dry. Saw alot of deer that day, and it was nice not getting wet.

JeramyK 10-08-2003 06:29 AM

I too go out in the rain. I find the sound of rain to be very relaxing. I also have invested in on of the umbrellas and I love it.

kybuck1 10-08-2003 10:39 AM

I don' t mind hunting in the rain as long as its not pouring, I agree its very relaxing, kind of soothes the soul you know.